No fermentation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic_35057

its good to be back!
Reaction score
Attempted my first AG yesterday.:) Making a Dunkelweizen. Without going into too much detail, I collected 6 gallons of wort; boiled for one hour with hallertau hops; cooled wort down to 80 degrees; poured cooled wort into plastic bucket causing some aeration; placed lid on plastic fermenter bucket with a blow off tube and placed in a 70 degree room in the garage. This morning added one vial of White Lab Hefeweizen ale yeast (date march 10, '07). I took the vial out of the fridge sunday while working on the wort. Checked tonight (13 hours later) absolutely NO activity.:confused: I have had good results with fermentation on other batches.
Any ideas? bad yeast? not enough aeration? impatient? something wrong with the wort collection process? If you have ?'s for me I will do my best to answer them.
Thanks for any thoughts!

Patience will be required. You should normally make a starter with just about any liquid yeast, even more important if it's near it's expiry date.

Give it a day or two.

RDWHAHB--

I agree-- you should have made a starter if you expect quick take off of your fermentation.

A single "pitchable" vial of yeast normally takes 36-48 hours (in my experience) for 5 gallons to start bubbling.

If it doesn't do anything after 48, I'd consider repitching.

Quote:Attempted my first AG yesterday. cooled wort down to 80 degrees and placed in a 70 degree room in the garage. This morning added one vial of White Lab Hefeweizen ale yeast: Quote

just curious why you waited until the next morning to pitch the yeast when the wort was down to the right temp?

Latest posts

Back