No fermentation after 24 hours, how to fix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky2284

Reaction score
I pitched my yeast/no starter (WhiteLabs Burton Ale Liquid Yeast) last night around 9pm. i haven't seen any fermentation signs, no krausen. how could i fix this if possible?

my OG was 1.052

ok thank you, i just read about how i need a starter. so i didn't know if my yeast was gonna work without a starter

ok thank you, i just read about how i need a starter. so i didn't know if my yeast was gonna work without a starter

If you had a reasonably fresh vial, it'll still work without a starter. You still pitched tens of billions of yeast cells, but not the 200 billion or so that you should have (with a starter).

It will likely take longer to get going. There's some possibility that it won't finish all the way and could have some flavor issues. That's why pitch rate is important.

The more significant question now is - what temperature are you fermenting this at (beer temp, not ambient air)?

The vial is a week old, but it was kept cool until the day of brewing, the beer temperature is at 68

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So for a starter I should I should use 2L? 200 grams of DME? Is that the ratio? I've heard several others. Which do you prefer?

So for a starter I should I should use 2L? 200 grams of DME? Is that the ratio? I've heard several others. Which do you prefer?

For starter size, I use the yeast pitch calculator at Brewers Friend.

I make my starter wort to a gravity of 1.035. There are starter wort calculators on line that will give you the exact amount of DME to use for a certain volume of water.

Sweet, thanks. How long should I wait before I decide to pitch a new yeast with starter?

Sweet, thanks. How long should I wait before I decide to pitch a new yeast with starter?

It's unlikely that you'll need to with this batch. Leave it alone and undisturbed another 48 hours before checking.

If it's doing nothing at all and you take a hydro reading that says 1.052, rehydrate and pitch a rescue packet of S-04 dry yeast.

Ok thanks BigFloyd. I appreciate your time and help

Fermentation started, but it seems rather slow than vigorous. I'll let it go and check my readings in a week and a half

It's early yet so why not pitch the S-04 now? Like a previous poster said it appears he underpitched? So why not just rehydrate some S-04 and toss it in? Can't hurt but could maybe help...right?

The yeast are probably just multiplying right now. Once they reproduce enough they'll start eating up the sugar. Don't worry, sounds like you did everything correctly, your yeast was fresh. It will be fine.

The yeast are probably just multiplying right now. Once they reproduce enough they'll start eating up the sugar. Don't worry, sounds like you did everything correctly, your yeast was fresh. It will be fine.

Thanks Dan. I'll report back the final outcome

If it started, I'll bet you'll be fine. Leave it alone for a few weeks to do its thing.

Sent from my XT1060 using Home Brew mobile app

It should be good especially if you see some action. I had a WLP080 that had an expiration date of the same day I was going to brew. I was worried about it knowing that it wasn't fresh. But it fermented great with a good FG.

Not saying he won't be alright. He WILL get a fermentation with the yeast he pitched. I'm saying why not go ahead and pitch more now since its still early. He's 100 billion cells or so underpitched. If he can fix it why not do it?

Not saying he won't be alright. He WILL get a fermentation with the yeast he pitched. I'm saying why not go ahead and pitch more now since its still early. He's 100 billion cells or so underpitched. If he can fix it why not do it?

The brew shop in my area is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Nothing needs to be fixed. One vial is enough for what he is brewing.

Just keep in in the temp. range and check the gravity in three days or so to make sure it's doing its job.

Back