No cones yet, but I have lupulin.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaymond

Reaction score
Not sure if this is a problem or not. I have my first year Chinook plant who is acting strangely. She is growing fast. As I was training a bine today, I noticed some yellow on the leaves and nodes. I also saw some on the bines. I rubbed some off to find out it was lupulin. I have no cones yet, and barely any sidearms.

What do you think? Does anyone have experience with this? None of the other plants have this, and none of my plants last year did this. Is this something unique to Chinook? It smells great btw, super piney and almost like her more infamous "cousin."

1402013388636.jpg

1402013404622.jpg

Remain calm.
Lupulin forms in the cones.
I have no idea what you're seeing, but the odds are it isn't going to end up in your beer unless you're into pitching stems...

Cheers!

Remain calm.
Lupulin forms in the cones.
I have no idea what you're seeing, but the odds are it isn't going to end up in your beer unless you're into pitching stems...

Cheers!

Agreed. Lupulin forms in the cones. Which is why this is weird. Maybe it's a sign of good nutrition? You're right, no stems in the beer. I'm not tossing anything but cones after harvest.

I believe what you are seeing is normal pubescence. Congratulations, your hops have entered their awkward teenage years.

I actually spit beer from my mouth onto a mirror after reading that. Looks like there will be some hair growing in funny places and Bo smells... Awesome.

Back