No change in six Days!! HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrothersBrewing

Reaction score
Farm house Ale (Saison)

5#pilsen DME
1#candy sugar
1# white wheat(crushed)
1oz hallertau
1oz saaz
MOss
1tbs coriander
8 black peppercorns
2gms paradise seed
1oz bitter orange

my SG was 1058 and ive have had it in the primary for six days just tested it and no change at all, this strikes my as very odd because ive been eyeing it since last sunday and the air lock has been nonstop, but now nothing!

im using WLP568 a belgian saison and fermenting at 60F

im thinking it may be too cold...your thoughts

You have had a lot of airlock activity but no change in gravity?

Are there any other telltale signs of fermentation? Such as a dried krausen ring?

I don't think this would make THAT large of an impact, but are you measuring your gravity at the same temperature you originally took it at for the OG?

Well if you had airlock activity, you can see visible krausen, and you are at around the same temperature for gravity readings, then frankly I have no idea why your gravity has not dropped. Hopefully someone else can chime in and give you some advice. Good luck!

If the wort (not room temp) is 60F, that's definitely getting too low for a saison. I don't have any personal experience w/ a saison yeast, but White Labs recommends 70-80F and many try and stay on the higher side of that range from what I've read.

I'd try and crank the temps up, give everything a good shake, and hopefully let it get going again.

Yeah, Belgian yeasts need higher temperatures. We are so concerned about warm ferments and weird esters most of the time, so it's easy to forget that weird esters are what Belgians are all about.

Back