No Carbonation, need help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyjhuebs

Naked Gnome Brew Co
Reaction score
I recently brewed a Saison using saison yeast for primary and then racked into a secondary with Belgian Sour Mix 1 after 4 days. I finished fermentation and after a month decided to bottle. I used 6 tbsp of corn sugar for 3 gallons of beer to prime. I was worried about bottle bombs so I checked the carbonation a week after bottling. When I popped the cap I heard the release of gas but when I tasted it there was little to no carbonation. Am I just too early on the bottle conditioning or do I have another issue? Worst case I could always force carbonate with my corny keg.

So I had similar deal with an American Red. It believe at least for me the yeast was very sleepy. I moved the bottle around the house trying to find a nice "room temperature". About once a week I would take 1 bottle out loom through the glass for clarity and give just a nice easy shake to see if any co2 bubble were raising. After about a 3 weeks conditioning I popped another bottle and it had more carb to it. After about 6 weeks it was acceptable to me for drinking. Just give it time and if you pop one a week just to test it out you will be able to rationalize what is working to help it carbonate or what hasn't worked. And of course yes you can always force carbonate and drink now!

pH of the beer might be giving your yeast a hard time, patience is key with sour bottle conditioning.

One week isn't very long as far as bottle conditioning goes, my beers are rarely done carbing that quickly (though that doesn't keep me from trying them early anyway :D).

Yeah its only been one week but I had just figured there would be at least a little carbonation started. Ill just be patient and wait for another month even though it is tasty still.

pH of the beer might be giving your yeast a hard time, patience is key with sour bottle conditioning.

would you say that ph may delay a yeast long before it kills it? i racked a beer on pineapple and though it fermented through (very slowly), in bottle it has barely carbed up after months. i'm trying to figure out if anything is alive in there. i dont mind waiting a year but not if valuable bottles and closet space are occupied for flat, well-aged beer.

Back