No cane sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave T

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
brew store didn’t have cane sugar I needed for a Belgian recipe (needed 1.3lb), so after a bit of talking we settled on 1lb corn sugar. Any major impact?

Also, it’s an extract recipe, but there was no Munich DME (no LME either), so I got some Munich grains to partial mash (now that I sorta know how thanks to you guys) - recipe called for 2lb of DME, so I got 3 lb of grains. Sufficient?

Thanks!

Dave

recipe called for 2lb of DME, so I got 3 lb of grains. Sufficient?

Thanks!

Dave

i doubt it? beersmith tells me in a 5 gal batch 2lbs DME would give 1.013, and 3lbs munich will give 1.003... don't they sell table sugar at a grocery store near you? i would imagine it would work for a sub for 'cane sugar'....:mug:

Corn sugar will be fine. In the future you can just use table sugar. Assuming you haven't failed catastrophically the yeast will just convert it to alcohol all the same.

Ah table sugar is cane sugar...doh

Ok so need more Munich - is there a conversion or something that tells me what I get from grains in a mash, I don’t have beer Smith (yet)?

The munich was milled, right?
At 70% BH efficiency about 3.6-3.7 lbs of mashed light munich is equal to 2lbs light munich DME.

In my opinion cane sugar, beet sugar, table sugar, and clear candi sugar are all interchangeable. You need slightly more dextrose/corn sugar to hit a target gravity.

Not here. We only get beet sugar. Almost but not quite the same I'm told.

For starting out you might want to download Brewtarget instead of Beersmith. Beersmith probably has more options buy you may not be ready to deal with the learning curve.

http://www.brewtarget.org/
For the sake of brewing they can be treated equivalently. There are a tiny portion of impurities that make cane sugar caramelize better, but in terms of fermentation it's just sucrose for the yeast to munch on.

Last edited:
Yes, milled. Brewtarget - Don’t have a computer, do all my interneting on an iPad - no app yet :(

Put everything in a brewers friend calculator, looks close, I’ll add a little more sugar to make up the difference. A little off on og/fg numbers, slightly lower alcohol - hope the taste is not too much impacted.

Guess I just need to figure out when to add hops, and probably add all the fermentables for the full boil time.

Hm...just found a new thread topic...when to add things

Thanks!

Hm...just found a new thread topic...when to add things

Thanks!

I ain't a ***** to beer! beer be my *****! i'll add things when i damn well feel like it! lol (joking of course, i am a ***** to beer...but i still have to pay the bills!)

Hey thanks for info - partial mash seemed to go ok, not sure how to tell, and I added .3lb table sugar. Og was 1.092, recipe said 1.094. Close enough for beer...

Now to figure out how to keg it. Got a couple weeks...first time

Just be aware, in my experience, including very recently, the fermentation took off due to the sugar. Used US-05 in brews before the cream ale with the sugar and had no problems (nice, sane fermentation). Used US-05 in brews after the cream ale with the sugar and had no problems (once again, nice, sane fermentation). Yes, I'm making several different cream ales, including one I found in HBT, in the attempt to determine which one I like the best. The recent one with table sugar filled a 1" blow-off tube and was very active. Actually somehow oozed out between the conical dome and the blow-off tube, ran down the sides and was making a mess. Luckily, I checked on it and cleaned things up before I had a total mess.

Hm...just over 5 gal in a 6 gal car boy - hope that’s enough room, no tube just a trap

Never made a cream ale, haven’t had one since I was a kid (upstate NY - Genny Cream Ale) - maybe i’ll Make one. Are the brews complicated? Only 7 brews in - still feel like I’m fumbling around

No, cream ales are very simple. To me, simple is better :) I remember the Genny Cream Ale. Found it from time-to-time in the Northern Virginia area.

7 brews. You know more than you realize.

And there is so much more to learn as well.

Latest posts

Back