No bittering addition in SMaSH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genjin

Reaction score
I recently made a smash with munich malt and it came out spledidly! I would like to do one with centennial hops, but I don't want it too bitter. Is it possible to just do some late additions with a relatively high alpha hop like centennial? Here is what I came up with:

Batch size: 4.0 gal
OG: 1.053
FG: 1.013
Bitterness (IBU): 33.8
Color (SRM): 10.0
ABV: 5.2%

[Grains]
Munich (German) 8.000lb Grain 100.0%

[Hops]
Centennial 1.00oz 9.0% AA Pellet @ 15 min, 18.7 IBU
Centennial 2.00oz 9.0% AA Pellet @ 5 min, 15.0 IBU

Yeast: US-05

I did a pale ale recently with only late hop additions, like so....

.5 oz palisades 15M
.5 oz palisades 10M
.5 oz palisades 5M
1.5 oz palisades Flameout
.5 oz simcoe Flameout + Orange Zest
(Dry hop 1 oz Amarillo)

...and it came out awesome! I think I got around 24 IBU's with this schedule in a 3 gallon batch and it was not bitter at all- but still had loads of hop aroma and flavor.

Ya thats a fine way to add hops, I think the term most people use on here is "hop forwarding" or "hop bursting" ? Anyway I have been making lots of smash recipes and I always use about 10lbs of 2-row and put most of my hops in late and honestly they are all the best beers and very cheap.

Good to hear! I am thinking about spreading those 3oz a little bit, maybe adding a ten minute and a flameout addition.

You could simply use less, and FWH will get you flavour and a smoother bittering.

1/2oz Centennial 9% FWH 60 min
1/4oz Centennial 9% Boil 15 min
2oz Centennial 9% Flameout 20 min

Ends up with 34.1 IBUs

Someone can correct me of I am wrong here, but with just Munich malt, DMS isn't as much of a concern, so you could even shorten the boil. A 20 or 30 minute boil with a FWH addition would meet your criteria well.

Someone can correct me of I am wrong here, but with just Munich malt, DMS isn't as much of a concern, so you could even shorten the boil. A 20 or 30 minute boil with a FWH addition would meet your criteria well.

Are you suggesting a boil of only 30 mins? If so, you think DMS wouldn't become an issue so long as Pilsner isn't being used?

I did a pale ale recently with only late hop additions, like so....

.5 oz palisades 15M
.5 oz palisades 10M
.5 oz palisades 5M
(Dry hop 1 oz Amarillo)

...and it came out awesome! I think I got around 24 IBU's with this schedule in a 3 gallon batch and it was not bitter at all- but still had loads of hop aroma and flavor.

Can you post the rest of your recipe? I may wanna try this

mccann51 said:
Are you suggesting a boil of only 30 mins? If so, you think DMS wouldn't become an issue so long as Pilsner isn't being used?

That was pretty much what I was thinking. I have made partial mash batches this way and it worked out very well. I can't say for sure that he wouldn't get DMS, but in my experience it can work.

Can you post the rest of your recipe? I may wanna try this

Sure:

For three gallons:

50% 3 lbs extra light DME
16.7% 1 lb flaked barley
16.7% 1 lb 2 row
16.7% 1 lb TF&S Pale Crystal (20L)

Yeast: Nottingham

Hops:

.5 oz palisades 15M
.5 oz palisades 10M
.5 oz palisades 5M

Dry Hop: 1 oz Amarillo (whole hops)

Predicted OG: 1.064
Predicted FG: 1.018
Predicted ABV: 5.9%
Predicted IBU’s: 24

You should adjust up if you are doing a five gallon batch of course. The barley flakes and 2 row, and crystal were done as a partial mash.

Cheers! :mug:

Just bottled this beer and WOW! The hop aroma was amazing and the flavor matched it. I ended up doing 1oz of Cent at 15min and 1oz each of Cent and whole leaf Cascade at 5 min. Then I did a whirlpool for ten minutes or so. I can't believe I could get so much hoppiness out of 3oz in a four gallon batch. I hope I can wait three weeks to start drinking this one!

I think my next one will be an EKG/Willamette blend with 100% munich. I am thinking about 5oz as the alpha is lower on those guys.

Back