No Aroma!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theQ

Reaction score
This is the weirdest outcome in 65 batches...
Wanted nothing but a session pale ale instead I got a weird beer without any aroma. Considering the 8 oz of hops this doesn't make any sense. Anyone wants to give a 2 or 3 cents?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 12.42 gal
Post Boil Volume: 10.42 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 10.00 gal
Estimated Color: 7.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 60.0 IBUs
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
13 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3. Grain 1 67.5 %
2 lbs Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.0 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 10.0 %
1 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.0 %
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 6 Hop 6 24.7 IBUs
1 lbs 8.0 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) [B Sugar 7 7.5 %
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15min Hop 8 9.6 IBUs
4.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep Hop 9 11.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Steep Hop 10 13.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (007) 11 -
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 20 lbs
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 5.91 gal of water at 152.0 F 75 min
The step for 6 oz of hops was - Whilpool 165-155
RO Water
5g CaCl 6.5g Gypsum
I kegged it, keg conditioned with 130g of sugar, no dry hopping!

Taste wise - it's slightly bitter with a biscuit aftertaste but no hop aroma!

I don't see any clues in the recipe.
How long ago was this beer kegged?
And if you let a glass warm up a bit from the pour does the aroma open up at all?

Cheers!

No aroma in my experience is 1 of 4 things

1) oxidation

2) poor quality hops

3) too low of a carb level

4) serving temperature is too cold and has locked up all the aroma compounds. Let the beer warm to about 42-45*f and see if it’s better

No aroma in my experience is 1 of 4 things

1) oxidation

2) poor quality hops

3) too low of a carb level

4) serving temperature is too cold and has locked up all the aroma compounds. Let the beer warm to about 42-45*f and see if it’s better

I appreciated the way you think. Some thoughts here...

1. I suspect it to but I transfered it to kegs without exposing it to air...
2. That must be it since there is no Cascade aroma...
3. the carbonation is just fine, nice head and doing keg conditioning is guarantee to be closed to what I wanted
4. I let warm up.

I don't see any clues in the recipe.
How long ago was this beer kegged?
And if you let a glass warm up a bit from the pour does the aroma open up at all?

Cheers!
Not even in the nose! for 6 oz in whirlpool I thought I'd get some.

I appreciated the way you think. Some thoughts here...

1. I suspect it to but I transfered it to kegs without exposing it to air...
2. That must be it since there is no Cascade aroma...
3. the carbonation is just fine, nice head and doing keg conditioning is guarantee to be closed to what I wanted
4. I let warm up.
1. Are your kegs purged of o2 prior to the transfer? and if you cold crash, do you have a way to appropriately manage the suck back. If so you’re most likely good there

I don't purge them prior to transfer, after transfer. Considering that I keg condition a very small bit of O2 would be consumed by the yeast while conditioning... no ?

I don't purge them prior to transfer, after transfer. Considering that I keg condition a very small bit of O2 would be consumed by the yeast while conditioning... no ?
That is certainly enough to oxidize some of the aroma compounds

So idk if you have this capability but I will fill a keg will sterilizer solution to the top and while the beer is fermenting I will use the blow off from fermentation to completely purge the keg. That way when I close transfer, my keg is only full of co2 so there is absolutely no o2 contact. I’m fermenting a triple ipa I brewed yesterday this way in a large mouth carboy. Here’s my set up
A7A5A13C-13BE-4872-8441-0F538DF21E4C.jpeg

The OP claims sixty-something batches and this is the first to be aroma-free?
O2 is certainly the bane of keggers. I practice and wholeheartedly endorse Star-San purging...

Cheers!

That is certainly enough to oxidize some of the aroma compounds

So idk if you have this capability but I will fill a keg will sterilizer solution to the top and while the beer is fermenting I will use the blow off from fermentation to completely purge the keg. That way when I close transfer, my keg is only full of co2 so there is absolutely no o2 contact. I’m fermenting a triple ipa I brewed yesterday this way in a large mouth carboy. Here’s my set upView attachment 661641
Yeah, I can do that however I usually like to dry hop in the keg so I add a meshed cylinder to dry hop.

Yeah, I can do that however I usually like to dry hop in the keg so I add a meshed cylinder to dry hop.
Purge two kegs then. Dryhop in one and transfer to the other to serve. Oxidation happens so easily in hoppy styles so any chance to avoid it the better. Brighter beers will be the result

I totally blanked on the lack of dry hops the first time I read the recipe.

That's surely going to produce an "aroma deficit" vs a dry-hopped version of the same recipe, so if one has traditionally dry-hopped it shouldn't be a huge surprise this batch is lacking in that department.

FO and WP hops can pack a huge flavor punch but even 150°F is going to set light aromatics off before their time...

Cheers!

so i WILL have to drop some meshed cylinders in with some citra and mosaic - I don't perceive any off flavors it's just aroma-less! I thought for a pale ale I could go by without any of dryhopping! silly me!

You're up one learning experience. It's all good :)
But, don't dismiss what some of us have said wrt kegging: liquid pre-purging a keg (and all lines to it) before filling will make a huge difference wrt shelf life...

Cheers!

I agree! What I think is interesting from this, let's call it experiment, is that 15mins additions and whirlpool don't necesarely do much on the aroma and should rather dry hop it all ! I just dropped 2oz citra and 2 oz mosaic in it. I'd updated in few days. I did purged 7-8 times after dropping the mesh cylinder.

Cheers!

I would definitely not move all your post-boil additions to dry hop, you'd end up with a beer that's all bark and no bite :D

Cheers!

I would definitely not move all your post-boil additions to dry hop, you'd end up with a beer that's all bark and no bite :D

Cheers!

I am amazed that 4 oz of dry hops made this beer very good ! 2 citra 2 mosaic - It's just hard to believe. It takes somewhat sweeter now!

Last edited:
Back