No alcohol after 6 weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fantasydoll

This is the second time I made hard cider. I had no hydrometer my first time but consumption and smell tell me there WAS alcohol in my first batch. This batch, my hydrometer is reading 0% when I went to bottle! (I checked my hydrometer--it works! Founder's all day ipa read 4.5%). I can smell some alcohol but can't taste much--it tasted semi dry with very little apple flavor. My first ferment was 3 weeks, second ferment 3 weeks. I back sweetened my 3 gallons of preservative free cider with a whole can of apple juice concentrate to up the alcohol (ugh!). I did not bottle today, but I had added my priming sugar before I read my hydrometer. So rather than bottle, I added 3/4 brown sugar (dissolved in water). My questions are: 1) what went wrong and 2) is there any saving this batch?

hydro.jpg

Yes, it should read 0% when you bottle. That is because the reading is not the alcohol level in the cider, it's the POTENTIAL alcohol.. Once it is at 0, there is nothing left to ferment.

Turn it, and look at the 'specific gravity' side. That's the reading you want.

Back