no airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonypr24

Reaction score
I just made a yeast started and just realized i didnt have an airlock for it so i am using tin foil. Is this ok for a yeast started? I have never used tin foil for a yeast started but my LHB shop is closed for the weekend and i have no choice now.

Missing do you use it from the begining? what about when is fermenting doesnt it blow it right off?

I just spritz with Star san and put on snugly.

It won't blow off, the gases fermentation creates build slowly and just leak out.

I often had trouble with the airlock getting stuck in the neck of my flask from any residual sticky wort, the foil stops that also.

Linc

I made one in a growler and just loosened the lid a little, about a half turn. Worked great!

+1 to the foil. I use it every time and just spray with sanitizer before securing it on there. Not sure if this is true, but I feel like it allows oxygen to get in that an airlock would not allow. Oxygen would be a good thing in the case of starters.

That's a good point. I will occasionally grab the flask by the neck so I hold the foil in place and give a good swirl whenever I happen to walk by. You want there to be air exchange to help the yeast go.

Linc

Back