No activity in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhnyc

Reaction score
This is my 3rd batch and 1st time using a secondary fermenter. It is a Pale ale.

I had a very active fermentation it had died down to the point, (after 6 days) that there were patches of bear with no bubbles on it.

I used better-bottles with spigots and had a very clean transfer (no agitation) and left the trub in primary.

Now after 2 days I have seen no activity in my airlock and I am worried about oxidation. Should I be worried?

No, you don't want fermentation in the secondary. The ferment should be over, and the purpose of the secondary (better called the clearing tank) is to clear the beer. You'll notice that it will appear darker as the yeast flocculates out, and you'll have a cleaner, clearer beer.

You don't need to worry about oxidation either, since you have an airlock on it and there should still be a little co2 coming out of solution to blanket the top. Oxygen can't get it.

Calling it a secondary is a hold-over from wine making. Except for fruit beers and very high gravity ales, it's a clearing tank.

Back