No Activity in Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, where to start.
First, don't worry about it yet. The basis of secondary is that you main airlock-bubble-producing action should be over before you rack. Secondary is more for clarification or bulk aging than anything else.
IF you still had active bubbling in primary, you probably should not have transferred, regardless of what the "instructions" said - those are notoriously bad, no matter where they're coming from.
Also, just the act of secondary itself is becoming less and less common for most of us homebrewers, except for adding fruit, wood or souring bugs. While there are still those among us who swear by it, in reality, secondary doesn't really give much benefit at homebrewing scale, time or volume wise, and adds more potential for oxidation or infection.

Ah, where to start.
First, don't worry about it yet. The basis of secondary is that you main airlock-bubble-producing action should be over before you rack. Secondary is more for clarification or bulk aging than anything else.
IF you still had active bubbling in primary, you probably should not have transferred, regardless of what the "instructions" said - those are notoriously bad, no matter where they're coming from.
Also, just the act of secondary itself is becoming less and less common for most of us homebrewers, except for adding fruit, wood or souring bugs. While there are still those among us who swear by it, in reality, secondary doesn't really give much benefit at homebrewing scale, time or volume wise, and adds more potential for oxidation or infection.

Yeah at the time I did not have a funnel to go straight to carboy.
Now I do.

Yeah at the time I did not have a funnel to go straight to carboy.

Now I do.

NO! Don't pour from your primary (bucket or whatever) using a funnel.
Do your transfer(s) by siphoning. An auto siphon would be a handy acquisition.
+1 on the other advice you've received. I know secondary is a controversial topic but it is my preference.

NO! Don't pour from your primary (bucket or whatever) using a funnel.
Do your transfer(s) by siphoning. An auto siphon would be a handy acquisition.
+1 on the other advice you've received. I know secondary is a controversial topic but it is my preference.

referring to using no primary just carboy..

aka boiling pot to carboy.

So, just to make sure I understand your process-
1- you boil, chill, & do your primary fermentation in the same vessel?
2- then you transfer to a secondary container (pouring)?
Sorry if I seemed confused but I'm just trying to answer your questions as clearly as possible.

So, just to make sure I understand your process-
1- you boil, chill, & do your primary fermentation in the same vessel?
2- then you transfer to a secondary container (pouring)?
Sorry if I seemed confused but I'm just trying to answer your questions as clearly as possible.

Ok I am going to be clear, even if you choose not to read the previous posts,
The batch I am talking about I say I would have went straight carboy but had no funnel. So yes this batch I went to the primary 4 days then to carboy,

I never said anything about pouring/splashing or not cooling, The questions may be very beginerish, but far is the processes goes I am not a complete noob.

The batch I am talking about I say I would have went straight carboy but had no funnel. So yes this batch I went to the primary 4 days then to carboy,

I never said anything about pouring/splashing or not cooling, The questions may be very beginerish, but far is the processes goes I am not a complete noob.

Even though you're trying to be clear, you are not. I read the other posts. I have no idea why you used for a primary (a bucket?) or that you cooled the wort to under 70F before adding yeast or when you added the yeast.

I don't know how you moved the batch to the carboy, but if you didn't siphon it after it fermented, that was a complete noob error. If it hasn't fermented yet, then pouring it is fine but after four days if it hasn't fermented that is a pretty big problem.

Primary/secondary are going to be terms that are much more clear as far as explaining your process. Carboy is just a vessel that can be used for either primary or secondary...hence everyone's (except you) confusion.

Umm yeah...I'm with everyone else. What are you calling your "primary?" Is it a kettle or is it something airtight like a bucket/carboy? You do not want to leave your cooled brew in a kettles for days. Its not airtight and will likely get oxygenated or infected...

Also, 4 days isn;t long enough for a primary. You're asking for an unfinished fermentation at 4 days. The yeast will not have finished doing its job yet you're taking the beer off the yeast cake

I think the confusion is coming from a different poster mentioning a brew kettle as primary. I assumed that it was in a bucket for 4 days before being siphoned to a carboy. But as others have said, four days is a bit short. If you do decide to do secondary (not necessary for most beers) then wait a few weeks in primary or at least take gravity readings to make sure it is ready to transfer.

Also, if it is mostly done fermenting you probably won't see much bubbling in the airlock in the secondary and most importantly the airlock is not a good way to judge fermentation. It is probably fine just leave it a few weeks and take gravity readings before bottling

I did read your previous posts. That's where the confusion occurs!
Good luck & good brewing.

Ya ratty, that was my fault. I read this post below and figured he meant it was in the boil kettle for 4 days before putting it in the carboy. I'm still confused as to what is going on.

referring to using no primary just carboy..

aka boiling pot to carboy.

Even though you're trying to be clear, you are not. I read the other posts. I have no idea why you used for a primary (a bucket?) or that you cooled the wort to under 70F before adding yeast or when you added the yeast.

I don't know how you moved the batch to the carboy, but if you didn't siphon it after it fermented, that was a complete noob error. If it hasn't fermented yet, then pouring it is fine but after four days if it hasn't fermented that is a pretty big problem.

Well Yes the bucket was what I used for a primary, also cooled down using my immersion wort chiller.siphon was used to transfer to secondary at day 4 1/2.

Folks here ARE welcoming and want to help, but you have to cooperate as well. Did follow "standard" brewing procedures such as:

1. Boil the wort with appropriate hops additions, etc.?
2. Cool the wort before transferring to your primary fermentor (the cooling ahould be done as rapidly as possible)?
3. Transfer to your primary fermentor (which is NOT the kettle) and picth your yeast?

No one can figure out what you did, so no one can really help you. Spell out your steps in detail and you'll find that we can help you (or at least tell you where you went wrong).

-Dan

Folks here ARE welcoming and want to help, but you have to cooperate as well. Did follow "standard" brewing procedures such as:

1. Boil the wort with appropriate hops additions, etc.?
2. Cool the wort before transferring to your primary fermentor (the cooling ahould be done as rapidly as possible)?
3. Transfer to your primary fermentor (which is NOT the kettle) and picth your yeast?

No one can figure out what you did, so no one can really help you. Spell out your steps in detail and you'll find that we can help you (or at least tell you where you went wrong).

-Dan

Yeah seriously. Annoyed short terse responses don't help explain whats going on. There are tons of people here that would leap at the opportunity to help if you take your time to elaborate what the issue is

you transferred after 48 hours?..You should wait at least 2 weeks before doing anything..Or are you saying you transferred from your boil kettle to your fermenter and no activity after 48 hours?..if thats the case sometimes there is a longer lag time 12- 24 is normal 48-72 hours is a bit long...What type of yeast? what temp are you at? and last but not least did you make a starter?

Maybe we can start over if you just posted everything from your recipe to your exact process.

Well Yes the bucket was what I used for a primary, also cooled down using my immersion wort chiller.siphon was used to transfer to secondary at day 4 1/2.

That seems fine, then! It was probably finished by the time you transferred, but next time wait until the beer is finished and clear (or clearing) when you move it to the clearing vessel ('secondary') if you're using one. It's not necessary to transfer, but some people do to free up their primary for another beer.

Generally, a hydrometer is used to indicate when the beer is ready to do something with- either transferring, or bottling, etc. If the hydrometer indicates the beer is done, and has been done for at least three days, it's fine to transfer to secondary, or to package, whichever you prefer. I sometimes transfer just to save and reuse the yeast in the first batch, but otherwise don't rack to a secondary (clearing vessel) for most beers.

Latest posts

Back