Nitrogen vs Co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so my daughters took me to Firestone Walker brewery in paso . I didn't think I was a stout fan until I tried their Nitro Merlins stout . One thing i noticed is how smooth and frothy it was. I didn't realize how they did it until I decided to do a chocolate milk stout . I'm new to brewing and never even thought of the key word "Nitro". So now I'm curious about using Nitro instead of Co2 in stouts . Anyone with experience of using Nitro around here ?

From what I understand it’s not a complicated process but you will obviously need a different air tank, regulator and so on. If I recall you can’t use a CO2 regulator on a Nitro tank.

In short, I know it’s done just most folks don’t want to invest in equipment to run both a CO2 tank and a Nitro tank. I know in the restaurant world we can now choose to now beer gas which is a blend of nitrogen and CO2.

I found a tank, line and tap set up. Roughly 200-300$ . Yikes . I guess if one doesnt mind the carbonation in a stout it's ok, but that beer was fantastic. Just not sure I would do a lot of stouts as I'm an Ale kinda guy. Thanks for the quick response kapp

I found a tank, line and tap set up. Roughly 200-300$ . Yikes . I guess if one doesnt mind the carbonation in a stout it's ok, but that beer was fantastic. Just not sure I would do a lot of stouts as I'm an Ale kinda guy. Thanks for the quick response kapp
How about cold brew when not doing stouts? That is if you like coffee. There’s also nitro cream ale. People have recently been pouring IPA with nitro.

I just purchased a nitro set-up after 15 years of brewing. I purchased my tank at the local homebrew store. They have an exchange program which is awesome. Anyway, they supplied me with 100% nitrogen. So I carb with co2 first and then push it with nitro. Sometimes nitro for beer can be mixed gas ... nitro and co2 called beer gas. That way the co2 will carb from the same tank.

I just had to ignore the cost and focused on how good my first stout tasted, lol.

I bought a blended nitrogen/CO2 cylinder and regulator from a user on here along with a nitro tap for around $100. I'm not using the tap because I have the Intertap flow control faucets with the interchangeable tips that you can put the stout tip in. I love it. May try my hand at a cold brew coffee one day too.

I bought a blended nitrogen/CO2 cylinder and regulator from a user on here along with a nitro tap for around $100. I'm not using the tap because I have the Intertap flow control faucets with the interchangeable tips that you can put the stout tip in. I love it. May try my hand at a cold brew coffee one day too.
Awesome! I opted for the Intertap as well. Great minds! Cheers.

Yeah I'm gonna get the N2 75% Co2 25% blend and get a nitro tap. It's worth it imo. I think I should be able to take a faucet off my kegerator and switch it out with the nitro stout faucet.

I once had a nitro Pale Ale (west coast style) and it was really neat. Gave all kinds of pillowy creaminess but you could see through it.

I have same intertap faucets. I found the stout tip for 16$. Now just gotta get a tank and regulator.

Latest posts

Back