nitrogen noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookie1980

Reaction score
hi i just got my hands on a pub style gas tank, its 70% nitrogen and 30% co2, will i be able to force cab my kegs the sameway im used to with co2, or will the nitrogen behave differently.

What matters in terms of carbonating beer is the partial pressure of CO2 that it's exposed to. If you want to carbonate with the beer mix, only 30% of the total pressure in the keg is due to CO2. Therefore, if you would normally use 9 psi of pure CO2, you'll need 30 psi of the mix. The time to carb up should be similar.

However, I understand that beer mix is signifcantly more expensive than CO2, and since you'll be using higher pressures, it'll run out faster as well. For that reason, I'd just force carb with plain ol' CO2 and only put it on nitro when you're ready to serve.

Finally, you are aware that you'll need a Stout Faucet (Nitrogen Faucet) to use the mix correctly, right? You probably knew that, but you didn't mention it in your post.

I use nitro tanks and this is how to do it:

1. get your keg cold
2. carb as desired (for me 9psi) with CO2 (or you can do a dirty force carb at 30psi etc etc)
3. disconnect the CO2 when you're at your desired psi (carbonation level for your beer)
4. connect the NO2 tank and push with that at 30-35psi through a stout faucet with a restrictor plate.

here's vid of my equip:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lDWnP4C5KQ]New Toys! Nitrogen Beer Gas and Stout Faucet 1/2 - Epic Beer Dude - YouTube[/ame]

Back