Nitrogen (Beer Gas)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RileyPub10024

Reaction score
I am new to the Home Keg world. I just purchased a Kegerator and got the set up for Harp but I have to get my Nitrogen bottle filled. Is this straight nitrogen or a mix with CO2? Matheson Gas on Front street can exchange my bottle but asked what mix I wanted.

Unless you have a stout faucet, you only need CO2. Nitrogen or nitrogen/CO2 mixes are required to serve beer at higher pressure without over carbing the beer.

I do have the Stout Faucet and Nitrogen set up. Kegerator Co. Sold all that to me with my unit. I also spoke with them yesterday and they are telling me 75% Nitrogen and 25% CO2.

Yes Harp Larger. Kegerator told me I had to gave the Nitrogen set up for serving Stout beers. Geniuses or Harp.

Yes Harp Larger. Kegerator told me I had to gave the Nitrogen set up for serving Stout beers. Geniuses or Harp.

Sorry to say, but they served you a side dish of BS. You definitely do not need nitro to serve those beers. A stout faucet is great upgrade and it is a great way to serve beers on nitro, but it is not a requirement. However, no harm done if that's what you wanted. But.... You could have got the regular faucet and a CO2 tank and it would have worked fine.

Did you get the regular faucet as well or will all of your beers be served on nitro?

To answer your question on the gas mixture, yes, 75/25 is correct. You should serve at around 32 psi. this may need to be adjusted depending on your temp setting.

Yes I got both Faucets and will have both Tanks. I just learned today that I can only get a full size Keg of Harp or Geniuses so my double tap Kegerator does me no good unless I go back to American Beers. Oh well I guess I will just have to do special occasion or St. PATRICK'S Day until the Keg is gone the Switch back to regular faucets and co2. I appreciate the help!

Latest posts

Back