Nitro tap - worth it or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfonnes

Reaction score
Thinking about converting one tap to nitro. For the people who have done it, was it worth it? Would you do it again?

I anxiously await these responses.. I am in the same boat.. thinking of adding 2 nitro taps

Thinking about converting one tap to nitro. For the people who have done it, was it worth it? Would you do it again?

I'm curious too. I have the moo hoo chocolate stout on my to brew list. I'm sure it would be great on a nitro tap.

Yes.

I have one and love it. I rotate a stout and an Irish Red on the tap. Very nice.

In fact I am drinking an Irish Red from the tap right now.

Yeah, I'd say it was worth it. I don't use it much, maybe a few kegs a year, but it's nice to have available when you want it.

Yes.

I have one and love it. I rotate a stout and an Irish Red on the tap. Very nice.

In fact I am drinking an Irish Red from the tap right now.

How do you carbonate the beer? Do you use co2 then use the nitro to serve?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

From past experience I am guessing that it is a good idea to buy the expensive tap?

Not sure what's expensive, but I have this one and have had no problems. It works as advertised.

As far as carbonation, yes, I carb first with straight CO2, then push with beer gas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what's expensive, but I have this one and have had no problems. It works as advertised.

As far as carbonation, yes, I carb first with straight CO2, then push with beer gas.

Ok thanks. I was just curious. Does it still have the texture of a guiness or boddingtons on draft?

Last edited by a moderator:
One tip if you do decide to dive into a nitro setup...

Don't buy a tank. Check out the local options first (Airgas, General Air, etc.). I bought a tank and then ended up having to trade it away at Airgas, as they could only do an exchange. You may end up buying your own, but check into your options first before you do.

Ok thanks. I was just curious. Does it still have the texture of a guiness or boddingtons on draft?

Why, yes. Yes, it does.

WP_000049.jpg

Another vote for yes its worth it. Installed mine a little over a month ago and already blew through the Dry irish Stout that I had on it. Hurry up Peanut Butter Milk Stout!

If you can do it, absolutely. Nothing better than a sout on nitro served out of your own kegerator at home. People get jealous when they hear I have a kegerator, then hate me when they find out I have nitro. But they will pretend to love me, so they can come over for nitro charged beer.

How do you carbonate the beer? Do you use co2 then use the nitro to serve?

Yes carb it with CO2. Carb it very low. I go about 1.2 vols and then hook up the beergas to serve. I set my nitro tap at about .35 psi to serve. That is why you want very low carb with the CO2.

I switched one of my six faucet to nitro last winter and have become enamored by it. I keep a big chocolate stout on tap year round and it was always good but the nitro pour adds that thick milk shake head that just slides down soooo smoothly. I'll confess it's a rare day that I don't pour at least a few ounces before bed time.

Not sure I'd recommend the Micromatic stout faucet, though. While it pours perfectly, it's a friggin' war club, a massive chunk of stainless, with a plastic spout...

Cheers!

choc_stout.jpg

P7180001.JPG

My keg of Irish Red us about ready to kick.. Next up a nice milk Stout.

I have several 2 1/2 gallon kegs so I can rotate them through faster. Works great for me. Irish red for a while, Stout up next.

And when you do get your nitro set-up. Here's the most pretentious way to pour,and drink, that perfect pint:

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gzmt_X_yPdM[/ame]

Don't forget to have a mirror above your kegerator to look yourself in the eye, and remember bring that elbow up!

damn they are expensive.. I want 2 nitro taps and I am gonna be into about 350-400 bucks it looks like.. or an I messing up?

damn they are expensive.. I want 2 nitro taps and I am gonna be into about 350-400 bucks it looks like.. or an I messing up?

You can get chrome plated for ~ $50. I got a ss body in the same style as the chrome plated for under $100. They're hard to find none chrome plated.

I wanted to add a nitrogen tap, but every time I called a local gas supplier they didn't know what I was talking about or said they didn't carry it. Can anyone tell me what specific gas to ask for from airgas?

I wanted to add a nitrogen tap, but every time I called a local gas supplier they didn't know what I was talking about or said they didn't carry it. Can anyone tell me what specific gas to ask for from airgas?

Beer gas

70/30 or 75/25

Most welding places don't have it, some can make it. You need to find a place that deals in beverage dispensing. Air gas is one if you have them.

This sounds great. This probably doesn't work as well if you bottle off the keg.

SHMBO peeked at what I was reading... Said a big fat no. So now I have to find out the true cost and do an analysis and see if I can sneak on in. Rofl!

SHMBO peeked at what I was reading... Said a big fat no. So now I have to find out the true cost and do an analysis and see if I can sneak on in. Rofl!

I found my regulator on eBay pretty much brand new. He was local. I bid, $20 and won. I met him for pick up to save on shipping. He even drove it to me since he was working in the area.

I found two 80lb argon tanks on Craig's list for something stupid cheap like both tanks for $25. I bought them and swapped one for a 60lb beer gas cylinder for nothing more than the cost of gas (and I still have the other tank for future use or resale) so that was under $50 total and might even make me money with the second tank

Then I bought a SS stout faucet for $86 shipped online. But the chrome can be had for $50 or so.

So it can be done for cheap. Just think outside the box.

I needed a tank that would fit in the fridge, so I went with a 20 cu ft tank, which is about the same size as a 5 lb CO2 tank. Just like with CO2, it's much more cost effective to go larger if you can accommodate it. When I got my tank I took it to General Air to fill and they told me they won't fill tanks that small and offered to sell me a larger one, I think 50 cu ft IIRC, for around $100 + the gas. I declined and headed over to Airgas. They couldn't fill mine on the spot, but they had full 75/25 beer mix tanks in stock that were the same size as mine, so I swapped mine away for a full one for just the cost of the gas, which was ~$38 out the door.

Yeah....make sure you check local suppliers to be sure you can get beergas. It's not as easy to come by as CO2. My only local source is Praxair. I originally bought an oddball size tank on ebay (27cuft or something like that)... took it to Praxair and they exchanges it for a full 20 cu ft tank for $30ish. I dispensed about 6-7 kegs with it and it was time for a fill... called to make sure they had beergas is stock and confirmed the price...still $30ish. took my tank for an exchange and was told it was $86! i had to argue with the guy for a while and he "talked to his manager" and was able to give it to me for $30ish...

point of the story is...getting gas can be a hassle...make sure you look into local sources.

It's so worth it I'm considering converting a second tap. Only downside is the effect is lost when bottling off the tap.

I have an 80cf tank. There's a guy named Scott that sells tanks of all kinds on here for pretty cheap. I swap out for a full 75/25 beergas tank at Airgas for around $35 I think? I have one of the $50 chrome faucets and it works great. I will only ever buy Micromatic regulators after chronic failures with most other brands. Well worth the extra few bucks.

I have an IPA on nitro now and it's incredible. Just about any style works well, but the oatmeal stout seems to go the quickest.

as soon as my chocolate stout kicks i'm putting a coffee/oatmeal brown on nitro...can't wait!

Thanks for all of the replies.

This is going to be my next beer investment.

I don't have space in my house for kegging, so I simulate a nitro tap using the old Guinness syringe activator trick. I when I bottle my Dry Irish Stout I prime it to achieve 2.4 volumes of CO2. Then when I serve the beer I use a 12 ml syringe to suck up 5 ml of beer plus 5 ml of air and then shoot it back into the glass in one motion. This creates a big creamy head with the cascade of nitrogen bubbles and the perfect level of low carbonation.

Back