Nitro stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassmaster911

Reaction score
I'm adding a nitrogen bottle instead of beer gas so I can serve Nitro coffee. Soon I will be brewing a stout and have the ability to pressure ferment. I'm thinking I should pressure ferment somewhere in the 3-5 lbs range to get a little co2 prior to hooking up the nitrogen. Good or bad idea? I'm wide open for suggestions.

I have kept an imperial chocolate stout on tap for going on 10 years straight now, served with beer gas through a beast of a Micromatic stout faucet. I carbonate with straight CO2 to just 1.2 volumes then dispense on 70/30 beer gas at 35 psi and get a wonderful cascading pour.

To carbonate to such a low level I do it when the beer is still warm-ish: I rack from the fermenters to the kegs without a cold crash so they're sitting at fermentation temperature around ~66°F. I put 7 psi on them and let them sit like that for a couple of weeks, before moving them to cold storage or directly to the keezer. If you look at a carbonation chart/table you almost have to carbonate warm otherwise the volumes go up which will wreak havoc when dispensed...

Cheers!

^lol^
It's an 11% imperial. I brew 10 gallons of it every year.

I've never done it, and using straight nitrogen is problematic as the carbonation level will decrease as the keg head space increases. I suppose one could add a little CO2 every so often to account for that...

Cheers!

Back