Nitro Stout Kegging, Beer Line Lengths?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
So I'm about to set up a couple of stout faucets with a nitro system in my kegerator and was wondering what line lengths I should start with. I keep the kegerator between 45 and 55 degrees F, and will run the beer gas at somewhere between 30-40 psi. I'll probably use 3/16" line unless someone convinces me 1/4" is better.

Thanks for any info!:mug:

So, care to give us an update?

I'm curious too, as I've FINALLY located a source for beer mix, got my cylinder, reg, stout tap, and JUST finished kegging my Irish Dry Stout.

I cut my tubing to 10 feet(3/16") for ALL my taps. Shanks are 1/4" though (I couldn't find SS in 3/16 and the old chrome shanks were 3/16 - well I think I drank the chrome plating cause it wasn't on the shanks after the first 9 months when I checked them...) Anyway...

Not sure what pressure to set the Beer Mix Reg for for proper dispense. Anyone got a good starting point to recommend? I was thinking about 25-30 PSI to force carb AND dispense with the Beer Mix.

TD

My line lengths for my beer gas setup are about 9 ft. I thought they were too short at first because I was getting too much foam, but that was just due to too much CO2 in solution. Try dispensing between 30-35 psi as a starting point. When I carb with CO2 for a couple of days, then switch over to the beer gas and let it finish carbing there, I get perfect pours in a week and a half to two weeks after.

I have 5ft of 3/16" and get a great pour at around 30psi. I have a video but it is terrible quality.

Can someone tell me if 7’ of 3/8 id is good enough for a nitro set up serving guinness homebrew? Trying to get this nitro set up done for st paddys day and 7’ is what i have.

Wow, I've always sworn by his Line Length Calculator and have promoted it often but never knew Mike @mrsoltys Soltys came by here once upon a time. Cool :)

Anyway...As was said earlier line length really doesn't matter much if at all wrt dispensing a "nitro pour" through a stout faucet as the restrictor plate pretty much dictates the flow rate - and you actually want a decent fluid velocity for the faucet to shine. Slow it down too much and you won't get that lovely cascade effect that tends to enhance the appreciation of the pour.

Back when I was running 3/16" ID Bevlex 200 vinyl and 10 foot runs for my 2.5 volume beers, I ran only 6 feet to my stout faucet and the pours were ideal. Since my 2019 conversion to EVAbarrier tubing for beer and gas lines I still run 6 feet of the skinnier 4mm ID EVAbarrier on my stout faucet because it takes most of that to get from the keg QD to the shank in my 14cf keezer. And at 35 psi through a Micromatic stout faucet I get a really nice pour...

Cheers!

Wow, I've always sworn by his Line Length Calculator and have promoted it often but never knew Mike @mrsoltys Soltys came by here once upon a time. Cool :)

Anyway...As was said earlier line length really doesn't matter much if at all wrt dispensing a "nitro pour" through a stout faucet as the restrictor plate pretty much dictates the flow rate - and you actually want a decent fluid velocity for the faucet to shine. Slow it down too much and you won't get that lovely cascade effect that tends to enhance the appreciation of the pour.

Back when I was running 3/16" ID Bevlex 200 vinyl and 10 foot runs for my 2.5 volume beers, I ran only 6 feet to my stout faucet and the pours were ideal. Since my 2019 conversion to EVAbarrier tubing for beer and gas lines I still run 6 feet of the skinnier 4mm ID EVAbarrier on my stout faucet because it takes most of that to get from the keg QD to the shank in my 14cf keezer. And at 35 psi through a Micromatic stout faucet I get a really nice pour...

Cheers!
Thanks you and everyone for the help!

Back