Nitro question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macminn18

Reaction score
I have a stout I'd like to put on nitro. I have all the equipment. My question is do I car it with the co2 first and then put it on the beer gas?

I just got my nitro tap about 3 months ago so I am by no means an expert but I have done it both ways. Simply hook it up to the beer gas at like 35PSI and wait a few weeks or carb it first with CO2 to about 1.5 vols and then switch it to the beer gas and start pouring.

I'm lazy so I tend to just hook it up to the beer gas mix and wait.

I just switched out a kicked stout for a freshy tonight, so this is timely.

My cold conditioning fridge is set for 36°F, and at that temperature it takes a mere 1 psi to get to ~1.6 volumes with straight CO2.
So for my stouts I leave them at that setting 'til a spot opens in the keezer, which has the 75/25 N2/CO2 mix set to 35 psi.

Typically a bit rocky for the first few pours (I could probably carb a tad lower but jeebus it's tough to split 1 psi on a regulator!) but it quickly settles down for the rest of the keg.

P7180001.JPG

Cheers!

Lately I have just been hitting the keg with a burst of CO2 at 30 psi to make sure the lid seals and then just leave it at room temp. No additional carbing. It really does not take much. Set my nitro (75/25 mix) to 35 and it works just fine.

I do exactly what beergolf says. It doesn't take much, but it also doesn't take much to overcarb. Just a tad too much carb and you'll get glass after glass of pure foam. It's much easier just to seal the lid and let it ride at ~35 psi (depending on your temp and gas blend ratio) until it's perfect. Def worth the wait!

I just scored a nitrogen tank and regulator. Suggestions on a good faucet? I have the SS Perlicks for my others and love them.

I too have gas questions. I pressure ferment in cornies and I'm thinking I can simply ferment the stout with a couple of pounds of pressure on/in it. This takes care of carbing it. Any reason I can't then just put it on straight nitrogen at 35 psi? That pressure will keep the CO2 dissolved in the beer, so no need for any additional in the beer gas. After all, the nitro is just for pushing as it doesn't dissolve into the beer anyway, right?

Thanks! I'm looking forward to trying my Left Hand Milk Stout clone the way it should be rather than simply pouring it from 3' high!!

I just scored a nitrogen tank and regulator. Suggestions on a good faucet? I have the SS Perlicks for my others and love them.

Micromatic sells a couple of stainless steel stout faucets that are pretty popular.

[...]Any reason I can't then just put it on straight nitrogen at 35 psi? That pressure will keep the CO2 dissolved in the beer, so no need for any additional in the beer gas. After all, the nitro is just for pushing as it doesn't dissolve into the beer anyway, right? [...]

Wrong.

By virtue of partial pressure gas laws, the N2 does nothing towards holding the CO2 in the beer. Which why it's not "straight nitrogen" you're after, you want "beer gas", a blend of N2 and CO2, typically 75/25%. The CO2 keeps the carbonation in the beer, the N2 does the extra pushing without significantly dissolving...

Cheers!

Good info here guys...

I have my nitro setup ready, just need to brew the beer.

One question I have though, especially for you beer gas setter and forgetters.

Do you guys use a lid with a diffusion stone to help the gas dissolve?? My understanding is the diffusion stone helps the co2 absorb faster and obviously makes the beer ready faster....but is it a necessity?

Is everyone that is setting the beer gas mix to 35 psi and waiting not using a stone I assume? If so how long till your Nitro pour seems to hit its sweet spot??

Cheers.

Pat

Someone (Kai maybe? I dont remember) tested the diffusion stone vs liquid post vs gas post and there was virtually zero difference. Set and forget seems about on par with typical CO2 force carb, 10-14 days to get good, maybe slightly slower on beergas.

I don't use a diffusion stone. Just set it and forget it on the gas in post for about 10 days as masonsjax said above. Brewing 15g of a dry stout for mine tomorrow :)

What styles do y'all plan to put on nitro, besides stouts? I have had several Pale Ales that were pretty tasty on nitro.

I've done loads of styles on nitro. I haven't disliked anything yet. I actually bought my system after visiting Victory and having Dirt Wolf IPA on nitro which was amazing!

Awesome. Give that it's Spring, was thinking of a simple Pale Ale rather than a stout.

Sounds like I'll go set and forget!! Thanks guys.

What about tubing length? Same as the regular faucets? I'm planning on 6 feet of 3/16 draft tubing.

Back