Nitro and Picnic faucets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makomachine

Reaction score
I'm in-between kegerators at the moment with an unconverted chest freezer & temp controller pulling their weight and keeping me in the keg business with picnic faucets. I will likely be in this situation for a few months and trying to figure out how to handle the vanilla porter I'm brewing this weekend. Ive got a nitro bottle and regulator but have only used it with my stout faucet. Anyone have any experience using nitro and picnic faucets and/or suggestions on how to make this work? I could always just not put it on nitro but vanilla porter on beer gas just sounds too good! Appreciate any advice you can provide!

I know you can use a stout faucet to dispense regular beer you just have to take out the restrictor plate. That said, you're basically just doing the opposite. In theory it will work but the thing is you probably won't get the cascade effect that you do from the stout faucet because the nitrogen in the beer gas is there so you can have a pressure high enough to force it through the restrictor plate with out overcarbonating it. I'd just carb it with Co2 but make it on the really low end of the Co2 volume scale and you'd basically get the same effect (lightly carbonated beer)

I tend to prefer my beers carbonated on the lower side of the range of style. I may very well do this but was curious if someone had any other ideas. I also thought about setting up my stout faucet loose in the freezer as another option.

I ran my beer lines through the freezer of my kegerator once and they froze solid. But I've always wondered if some insulation would solve that problem. Maybe you could run a long beer line from the keg to the shank and just use a big pipe clamp to hold it in place?

I ran my beer lines through the freezer of my kegerator once and they froze solid. But I've always wondered if some insulation would solve that problem. Maybe you could run a long beer line from the keg to the shank and just use a big pipe clamp to hold it in place?

I was thinking of something like that but have the faucet mounted on a piece of plywood. Still debating which way to go with it and just need to carve out some time and figure it out.

Nitro won't do what it's suppose to out of a picnic tap, need the plate to separate the the nitrogen for creamy head. I would rig up the the stout tap. Keep us informed I have has 2 vanilla porters not fond if the vanilla dominates ...................my.02

Back