Nightmare brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CU_tony

Reaction score
So today started great, the quick trip to a LHBS turned into 2 hrs and (only) $80.
I made 2 gallons of wort and as soon as I started my boil the **** hit the fan. Work called with an emergency, I tried to fend it off, however the urgency/money was too good.
I made my boss come to my house to finish the boil, he only needed to add the last hop sack at 10 min and chill the wort in a sink of ice.

I just got home and it's been about 90 min from when he reported the wort to be "chill".
He left the wort uncovered, and there is crust on the lid (but not the stove) making me think it boiled up a bit. The volume was also only about 1 3/4 gallons, so I topped off with filtered water and am letting it sit so the trip settled again.

Am I safe to rack this wort, or has it been uncovered post boil too long?

Let that puppy ride! You've done all the work, now pitch your yeast and see what happens...you may be surprised by the outcome. Never give up on a beer until you know for absolute certainty that its ruined.

So bringing to boil and re-cooling wouldnt have a bad effect on the wort?

I do like the peace of mind since Im leaving town for a week tomorrow and my boss is house sitting, meaning Ill miss most or all of the active fermentation.
Its kinda of a sucky time to brew (especially today as it turned out) but I wanted to get the batch in before ~2 weeks I doubt Ill have time to brew.

So bringing to boil and re-cooling wouldnt have a bad effect on the wort?

I do like the peace of mind since Im leaving town for a week tomorrow and my boss is house sitting, meaning Ill miss most or all of the active fermentation.
Its kinda of a sucky time to brew (especially today as it turned out) but I wanted to get the batch in before ~2 weeks I doubt Ill have time to brew.

It might increase you IBUs a tad, and will drive off some of the aroma from the late hops, but it is a better alternative than having an infected batch and losing the beer. I would bring back to a boil, and quickly cool if I were you.

Sound like the only solution is to bring to a boil and throw some more hops in for good measure and aroma :)

So its been something like 2.5 days since this whole deal, im in Miami Beach (for work, not (much) pleasure) and this is the only update Ive gotten so far..
It looks like there was a bit of krausen on both carboys, however my friend said he didnt notice any airlock activity while he was there (I know its not a tell all) which the last two batches of beer had pretty active bubbling from ~36hrs for 2-3 days. Then again he could have snapped the pic and closed the fridge..

My biggest concern is that I may have pitched too hot... after bringing the wort back to a boil and re-cooling it was late, I was tired (and had to leave to catch a flight at 5am the next morning) I know the wort was "cool" as in not warm to the touch, however I did not remember to take a temp reading before pitching... I was a little carried away with the sanitation for my attempt at saving half the yeast activator pack (since its meant for 5 gallons and this was only 1 gallon)

I cant wait to get home and get my eyes on... should I take a sample and measure the gravity as soon as I can? just how important is sanitation? Obviously I would soak a baster and beaker in star san, but do I need to be concerned about cracking the carboy for a minute or is beer not as delicate as Im thinking?

2016-05-10.jpg

Also, I have yet to see ANYTHING close to the monster krausen Ive seen many pictures of, is this likely because Im currently stuck with 1 gallon batches?
Maybe a yeast or beer style thing? Currently I have only done a blonde ale and two batches of brown ale. I have an amber ale for my next brew day ready as well...

Back