Nickle metal taste- dump or save

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewmeisterSmith

Reaction score
I rarely get off flavors strong enough for me to consider dumping a batch. but I made the 15 minute cascade pale ale, which I've had great success at before. I get a metal almost nickle taste on the back of my tongue. I usually dry hop in the keg. when I keg, I use the rinse and repeat method, which really never fails. I used to use a metal wire and attach the dry hop bag to the top of the out tube so that when I drink the beer, the hops stay suspended in the air vs staying in the beer for the whole time. I'm wondering if the old corroded metal from the last hop bag, which was at the bottom of the keg after prolonged empty storage had anything to do with it. Probably. Anyway, does this taste go away? Will adding anything cure the issue? I'm pretty much going to dump it and cut my losses unless anyone has a miracle tip for me.

btw i added an oz of mosaic to it about 5 days ago. The mosaic did its job but the metal is still on the back of the tongue. So adding more hops didnt work.

I noticed when I was having a metallic taste I was using unfiltered tap water. Since I have changed to filtered water and have yet to have any metallic off flavor.

Any who maybe you can give it to friends or family (don't mention the metallic taste), there is a good chance they will not even notice it.

I noticed when I was having a metallic taste I was using unfiltered tap water. Since I have changed to filtered water and have yet to have any metallic off flavor.

Any who maybe you can give it to friends or family (don't mention the metallic taste), there is a good chance they will not even notice it.

I use .5 micron water filter and it seems to work great...normally. i'm thinking there may be another factor at work.

Latest posts

Back