Nice Scoby!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divrguy

Reaction score
Well, I'm pretty happy I have 5 SCOBY forming in different jars. All look healthy and 2 are about 1/4" thick. Took them about 2 weeks to suddenly get into gear with forming the cap.

With them about 1/4" thick, should I wait another week for it to get a little thicker before giving it the first batch of KT to brew? Longer than that or is it ready to go? I do already have those 2 in the one gallon sun tea jar ready for a continuous brew but half full.

Probably. Best way to tell is to check pH. If you don't have strips or a meter, taste a little sample, it should have a strong but not overwhelming vinegar aroma and flavor. If you don't wish to taste it, chances are, at 1/4", you're good.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

I have the universal ph test strips. Am I looking for around that 3 level?

Closest to 3 is best but I think you'd be fine so long as it was under 4.0. Depends on how much you have and how much you're going to add. Supposedly 1 cup of =<3.0 will sufficiently lower 1 gallon total volume to safe levels.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

Back