Next to spend the money on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sladue4

Reaction score
So I have $80 from a reward program at work that is begging to be spent. I am considering getting a pH meter or stir plate and yeast starter set up. Which would be more beneficial at this point? I am currently doing 5 and 10 gallon all grain batches. I have had good results so far but am now looking to improve my beer.

Thanks

While I love my PH meter, a stir plate a few stir bars (get more than one trust my garbage disposal on this one) and a flat bottomed starter vessel are the better investment in my eyes.

It depends on what you already have.
Beyond the basics for AG, in order of importance IMO are:

1) Temperature control
2) Yeast starter stuff etc...

Proper temp control = happy yeast => Great beer

Having said that, if you are good at DIY stuff, you can build a stir plate for pretty cheap ($24 for mine, but I had an old hard drive and fan from old computer) add $5 for stir bar and $20 for 2L flask (I use an clear growler)
So you could come in around $50 for all that.

The temp control modules are pretty cheap as well but you would still need an old fridge or chest freezer and you would probably exceed the $80 by the time you are done.
BUT... to me, it is worth the extra $$ if you can afford it. I picked up an old chest freezer at a garage sale for $75, the STC-1000 temp controller was given to me by a buddy who does not brew anymore.
I can ferment an ale or a lager at a precise temperature and then cold crash it AND then serve it all by doing nothing more than adjusting the temp on the controller.
My beer has gotten significantly better and I did not think it was bad before, but just much better in terms of overall taste, crispness.
My first batch using this setup was an Irish Red Ale that I had made 3 times prior. I fermented at 63 degrees for 1 week, then increased to 67 for 2 weeks, cold crashed at 40 for another week.
I poured a glass for a friend that comes over and samples the product all the time and he was so amazed in the difference in taste, he accused me of pouring him a bottle of another brewery's beer. He drank it and followed me to the keezer and had to see it for himself.

MY VOTE is clearly for temperature control. I was making starters and swirling them by hand and the results were no better. I actually use the keezer to cold crash my yeast starters as well.

Already have the temp controllers up and running. Just haven't built the fermentation chamber using the old dorm fridge I have. So yes..I do want to get to a more precise control of fermentation temps. Just looking for the next step and wondering if the expense is worth it for the pH meter. Maybe I'll get both since I have a pile of old computer parts that are begging to be re-purposed.

In that case, I change my vote.

Build the stir plate. $25
Pick up 2L flask. $20
Pick up lumber and insulation to build ferment chamber. $40

Pick up some cheaper pH test strips online lab supply

Stir plate + flat bottomed glassware for making great starters is the better option. Get pH strips to determine your mash pH.

Stirplate definitely gets my vote. It is obviously used every time i brew, but i only occasionally use the pH meter - and besides like the others have pointed out you can use test strips which costs $10 for a couple hundred.

Back