Next steps...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arbadarchi

Reaction score
I'm looking for some input for what my next steps should be. Here's my background.

I'm 4 3.5 gal biab batches deep in brewing in a plastic e kettle (Pictures on bottom). It's a humble single 1500w element that while getting the job done is a little slow. It's thick PP plastic which has a high melting point. I have an stc-1000 controlled mini fridge for fermenting in.

I am having difficulty keeping a stable mash temperature even with wrapping my kettle in a sleeping bag. I think this is the area I want to focus on getting right next. I am on a very tight brewing budget so I can't afford to just throw $100 into a new pump ect... But was thinking of getting one of those cheap eBay $25 food grade pumps and trying to do some sort of RIMS setup using my controller from the fridge to fire my element while recirculating, however I think I may try to use something like a heating pad to keep a stable mash temp for now.

The other area I'm looking at is wort aeration... Currently I'm not doing much in that department and am wondering if I should try to get O2? I've been reading that improper aeration can lead to all sorts of off flavors (which I have been getting).

I also have only used dry yeast and have done no starters.

Looking for your input as to what my priorities should be as a budget brewer trying to get his technique down before doing more advanced stuff.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1445190067.438630.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1445190086.761733.jpg

My second batch has a freezer burn taste in the hop/carbonation and has a little bit of butterscotch flavor. That's why I'm thinking I need to work on what I'm doing with yeast.

Third batch will be in the bottle 2 weeks next weekend so I'll see how that ones doing

You have a heating element right in your pail. Turn it on. :)
Can't you just check the temp a couple of times, making sure to stir plenty, if it's low fire the element for a minute or so. The pump or heating pad seem like unnecessary solutions, with the element right in your wort like that.

Or am I missing something? What kind of losses are you seeing?

You have a heating element right in your pail. Turn it on. :)
Can't you just check the temp a couple of times, making sure to stir plenty, if it's low fire the element for a minute or so. The pump or heating pad seem like unnecessary solutions, with the element right in your wort like that.

Or am I missing something? What kind of losses are you seeing?

Without some sort of recirculation I'm afraid I would just heat the mash on the bottom to the point of denaturing the enzymes without heating the top. I could run a test... But everything I've read has discouraged that approach.

Hmmm, good thought. I use a turkey fryer, and can just fire that up when needed. But you're right, that would be a bit more concentrated heat.
I would think you could turn it on as long as you kept it stirred.
But you'd like to keep the lid and blanket over things to keep on time to a minimum. Plus you have a bag full of grain preventing you from stirring effectively. I see. Took me a post or two, but I see what you're going for here.

I like to try simplest first, so maybe try a long handled spoon between the bag and the bucket, and stir the wort around the heating element while you run it. I would think you would not need it on that long to adjust a degree or two around 150°F.

Another thought I had was perhaps to put a glass crockpot on top to keep direct heat off of it. I may try that

How much heat are you loosing?

I would have thought, heating water to strike temp, add grains, stir well, cover and insulate sides with a sleeping bag and a blanket on top, and you should be fine for 30 to 40 minutes.

Maybe put a mat/blanket under it too.

Back