Next step?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyClay

Reaction score
I am doing a chocolate raspberry wine I hope will be done by Christmas. I started with a Burgundy grape and chocolate must and fermented out. I'm not sure of the current specific gravity, but it was in primary for about a week and in secondary for about 3 weeks. I'm sure its done fermenting. I need to know what is my next step? Degas? Clarify? I know at some point I will have to prevent renewed fermentation and add the raspberry puree. And possibly backsweeten. I'm itching to mess with it tonight. I'm bored.

Is it from a kit with instructions, or from scratch? What kind of chocolate did you use? Since you don't have any gravity readings, is it really dry (how sure are you it's done fermenting?). If you can get some gravity readings you'll have a much better idea of existing sugar levels, but either way you'll need to add Sorbate and Metabisulfite before adding the raspberry or any sugar. I've never really had to degas my wine, but I normally drag the process out (6-9 months before I bottle), just so I can be sure of the flavor and characteristics of the wine before I go to bottle it. For me, wine makes me impatient so I find it better to have a couple of batches going at once to keep me busy.

The only way to be sure is with a hydrometer. It sounds more like you want this for Valentines day instead of Christmas :) WVMJ

Back