Newcastle Cabbie Black Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkatz419

Reaction score
Has anyone had the Newcastle Cabbie Black Ale? It's a 4.2% mild that has a ton of flavor (and according to one website 25 IBU). I'd love to clone it but I can't find much info on the ingredients used. I'm guessing similar to Newcastle Brown but with a bit of black patent or roasted barley to make it dark?

I was wondering the same thing this weekend. I agree - it has such a complex flavor profile. Am I wrong or does it have some acid malt or souring going on in there?

I have a friend that wants to clone the Cabbie too... Here is my stab at the recipe...

Cabbie Ale Clone

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 7.63
Anticipated OG: 1.039 Plato: 9.66
Anticipated SRM: 29.4
Anticipated IBU: 24.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Formulas Used
-------------

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
82.0 6.25 lbs. Pale Malt (Golden Promise) UK 1.037 2
4.1 0.31 lbs. Crystal 60L UK 1.035 60
4.1 0.31 lbs. Crystal 120L UK 1.033 120
3.3 0.25 lbs. Black Malt Debittered Belgium 1.030 550
3.3 0.25 lbs. Black Patent Malt UK 1.027 525
3.3 0.25 lbs. Chocolate Pale Malt UK 1.036 200

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.00 24.6 60 min.

Yeast
-----

DCL Yeast S-04 SafAle English Ale

I picked up a sixer and noticed the Cabbie seems to fall more into the brown ale and not a Black Ale. But then I'm not the brewer!
Curious to see what everyone thinks of the recipe...
Gene

Has anyone tried this yet? Hoping to find a clone for this myself and was wondering how it turned out.
Thanks

I just transfered a clone recipe(attempt) of the Newcastle Werewolf that is actually pretty damn close to the recipe above. I have not tried the cabbie yet though so I will pick up a 6er of the cabbie and store it until the werewolf attempt is carbonated and conditioned and I can do a side by side and post my recipe.

The main difference between my recipe and the cabbie one posted above is 1lb of flaked rye that I toasted and threw in the mash.

I snagged a 6 pack of this last week.... it's so so..... I wouldn't call it complex but to each his own

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I snagged a 6 pack of this last week.... it's so so..... I wouldn't call it complex but to each his own

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app
It;s not bad. Unlike some black ales, it doesn't taste like an ordinary brown ale with ground-up charcoal briquettes in it...

Latest posts

Back