Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambino85

Reaction score
Possibly the most stupid question ever.... I made a lager starter kit. When should it start to bubble? N when should I start to worry?

Possibly the most stupid question ever.... I made a lager starter kit. When should it start to bubble? N when should I start to worry?

It's not a stupid question at all! But...........it's a hard question to answer because some fermenters have small air leaks and never bubble. Another issue is that some starter kits are labled "lager kits" but aren't lagers at all (which must be fermented cold) but instead ale. And visible fermentation activity may not be apparent for up to 72 hours. so you can see that we just can't answer with "if in 36 hours, you haven't seen activity, repitch the yeast".

But that is still pretty good advice not knowing your system, what your recipe was, the temperature at which the yeast was pitched, the yeast strain you used, and the temperature the beer is at now.

If you let us know exactly what your lager kit consisted of, we can be more specific.

Agree with Yooper. I've had airlock activity within four hours of pitching yeast, and I've had it take a day or so. Just depends on what you're brewing, temperatures, kind of yeast, etc. And also, as Yooper said, airlock activity (or lack thereof) isn't always an indication that fermentation is or isn't happening. Only checking your gravity can tell you that.

Thanks I woke up this morn n it's got a lovely "crust" on it. I was just been impatient

Back