newbie with an airlock problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duce60

Reaction score
So I am working on my first mead. And i have developed an issue i am hoping you guys might be able to help with. Here's what I have started.

4 gallons water.
15lbs honey
5 grams fermaid k
Lalvin 71B- 1122 was the yeast.

This has been fermenting in primary for about 1 month and two days ago it seemed to start backing up into the airlock as this picture should illustrate.

Doesn't seem to have any off odors or appearance. The gravity seems to be progressing appropriately.

I sure would appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance.

ForumRunner_20131221_172538.png

So I am working on my first mead. And i have developed an issue i am hoping you guys might be able to help with. Here's what I have started.

4 gallons water.
15lbs honey
5 grams fermaid k
Lalvin 71B- 1122 was the yeast.

This has been fermenting in primary for about 1 month and two days ago it seemed to start backing up into the airlock as this picture should illustrate.

Doesn't seem to have any off odors or appearance. The gravity seems to be progressing appropriately.

I sure would appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 167319

It's normal... If u don't have a blow off tube you Gould get one, it should only last a day or two... With the bubbling out of the air lock

That's krausen (foaming due to fermentation) coming up into the airlock. Just pull it off. Clean it out, resanitize, and put it back on. No worries

Just remove the lid on tbe bucket twice a day and give the batch a good stir. It aerates but has the side effect of nucleating out the dissolved CO2. Only aerated down to the 1/3rd sugar break then it should be fine.

Rinse out the airlock refill with water or whatever and replace......

Some batches foam like hell others less so. Some yeasts are listed as low foaming or you could get some anti-foam drops of course......

Thanks for the tips guys.

Sorry about the duplicate post. I wasn't trying to be obnoxious or anything.

Interesting, as I've never had excess foaming/krausen with any of my meads, just beer. I make the mead, slap an airlock on, let it ferment, rack a time (or two..or three) and be done. I always use a blowoff tube on my beers.....ymmv, as the pic makes it obvious

Interesting, as I've never had excess foaming/krausen with any of my meads, just beer. I make the mead, slap an airlock on, let it ferment, rack a time (or two..or three) and be done. I always use a blowoff tube on my beers.....ymmv, as the pic makes it obvious
Try a few "fruit heavy" melomels, you'll soon find that it can be a flip of a coin as to whether you get good foaming or not.

It's one of the reasons why it's often suggested that new ferments are started in a bucket, rather than DJ/carboy. The larger liquid/air interface means there's much more room for foaming expansion. Once it's going, you can then transfer to a carboy etc if you want to see what's occurring, or just leave it in the bucket to finish before moving it off the gross lees, so you can monitor clearing activity etc.....

Old adage, it's your mead etc.......

Back