newbie with a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogma9

Reaction score
hi, i bought a mrbeer kit here while back and also decided to get the true brew 6.5 gallon kit. It arrived today and i was reading the instructions and it said i need a stainless steel or cermaic pot to boil the wort in. My wife wife says our pots are silverstone lining whatever that means, but my question is can i use this pot or does it have to be stainless steel or cermaic and why if thats the case?

I'm not sure if I'd use a pot that had a non-stick lining. I can't link you to anything specific saying it's bad, but it'd make me nervous.

You can get good deals on granite ware canners right now. One of the taller, narrower ones work well until you can get something fancier. I still use mine to brew all the time.

i bought a $100 stainless steel 5 gallon kettle for my first brew. not a waste of money as it's a great kettle, but not necessary for a newbie (which i still am FYI after 2 years) i'm with revvy. just get a spaghetti pot. all you are doing is boiling sugar water with flowers thrown in halfway through. while people like to make this out to be rocket science, it really doesn't have to be, unless you want it to be. they didn't have stainless steel 500 or 1000 or 2000 years ago and they still made great beer (probably, not that i'd actually know).

i bought a $100 stainless steel 5 gallon kettle for my first brew. i'm with revvy. just get a spaghetti pot. all you are doing is boiling sugar water with flowers thrown in halfway through. while people like to make this out to be rocket science, it really doesn't have to be, unless you want it to be. they didn't have stainless steel 500 or 1000 or 2000 years ago and they still made great beer (probably, not that i'd actually know).

This is probably one of the best posts I have ever seen on this forum in all the years I've been on here.:mug:

Of course I bet you wish you had read someone saying the same thing BEFORE you plunked 100 bucks on a pot that a 10 dollar one would have done fine....that's 90 bucks that could have been used to by ingrients or other cooler brewtoys.

k, well if i can grab one for about $10 bucks that will be fine

normally i don't care what people say about my insipid thoughts on here...but revvy's post really made my saturday. i must say.

i have another question, i was messing with the bottle capper that came with the kit and it does awesome with putting caps on the bottles that came with the kit, but when i put a cap on a beer bottle that i kept for a 12 pack.It has threads on it and the caps just screw off very easy, is that normal or can i not use those kind of bottles?

i have another question, i was messing with the bottle capper that came with the kit and it does awesome with putting caps on the bottles that came with the kit, but when i put a cap on a beer bottle that i kept for a 12 pack.It has threads on it and the caps just screw off very easy, is that normal or can i not use those kind of bottles?

It sounds like you're trying to use twist off bottles. You said it, you cannot use those bottles, you must use bottles that are not twist off.

alright, thats what i thought. what are some brands of commercial beers that don't use twist off bottles?

also i know your not suppose to take the lid off while fermenting to keep infection out, but you have to take the lid off to get a sample for the hydrometer right? is this just a risk you have to take to test your batch?

aight i jumped into my first 5 gallon batch tonight. everything seemed fine till the end. how long can wait to add the yeast till infecting the beer? i had to wait about 2 hours cuz when i cooled it then added my water it was 58 degrees. i finally got it back up to 60 and added the yeast. i waited 10 mins then went to stir it and the foam that was on top had disappeared and it had large bubbles on top and bubbling as i looked at it. Anyways i stirred it put the lid on and added water to the airloc. Surely an infection wouldn't react that quick would it?

alright, thats what i thought. what are some brands of commercial beers that don't use twist off bottles?

Almost every brand except for Bud, Miller, or Coors.

also i know your not suppose to take the lid off while fermenting to keep infection out, but you have to take the lid off to get a sample for the hydrometer right? is this just a risk you have to take to test your batch?

Yes. You don't need to get too crazy with testing too often though.

i finally got it back up to 60 and added the yeast. i waited 10 mins then went to stir it and the foam that was on top had disappeared and it had large bubbles on top and bubbling as i looked at it. Anyways i stirred it put the lid on and added water to the airloc. Surely an infection wouldn't react that quick would it?

No, it wouldn't. Did you aerate really well? (i.e. shake the hell out of the fermenter). That's important when you pitch the yeast - but don't aerate after fermentation has started, it's not good at that point in the process. Anyway if you aerated, all those bubbles were probably from that.

yea i stirred it pretty good several times while trying to get the temp up before pitching the yeast. so thats good to hear. Doing good with the temp on it so far, got it put in a cooler with water and a frozer 2 liter right now. The temp seems to be hanging around 64 on the stick on thermometer, and i got a small aqauirum thermometer floating around in the cooler just to be curious of the water temp and its been at 56.

but this is at 5am and 71 degrees in my house, at noon will it's been getting up to 78 so i'm curious how that will effect my temps.

whats the lowest ferment temp for muntons active brewing yeast that came with my true brew kit?

just an update, it seemed to hanging around 60 degrees this morning when i woke up, so i took out the ice bottle, and now about 14 hours later the temp is hanging around 64 with bubbling in airlock that started about 4 hours ago, so i'm guessing its not been to cold. :drunk:

Just keeping an eye on it cuz i don't want the fermentation to sky rocket my temp on me lol. i know what i want out of income tax money is a mini chest freezer and the temp adapter lol, won't have to worry bout it then.
It still seems weird that just sitting in water and the temp is staying so low, cuz my house has been 78 all day

Back