Newbie Sanitation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TryPA

Reaction score
Greetings guys,
I recently started homebrewing and have made a few kits successfully (all extract) from northernbrewer. A couple weeks back, I got that "itch" and decided to make my own recipe and see how it went.

I ended up with an IIPA with a starting grav of 1.081, expected FG around 1.018. Left it in the primary for a week, and then racked it to the secondary and dry hopped. This thing smelled very, very boozy.

My question is: I totally forgot to sanitize the bag i put the hops in (pellet hops) for dry hopping. Is my brew doomed to be skunked? I forgot to check the grav when I racked it to the secondary, so I'm not sure what the ABV was. I did taste it, and it definitely smelled like alcohol...if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

RDWHAHB... That much alcohol, I wouldn't worry about a couple rogue microbes that might have been lingering. Just think about the good ole days of brewing just a few short years back where sanitation wasn't even a consideration.

That does bring up another concern however: You mentioned it smelled 'very boozey'. What temperature did you ferment at?

Here's a tech piece:
Alcoholic
Tastes/Smells Like:
Overpowering alcohol flavor, bitter, acetone, paint thinner, spicy, sharp, undesirable
“hot” sensation in the throat
Possible Causes:
Fusel alcohols such as propanol, butanol, isobutanol, and isoamyl alcohol as well
as phenolic alcohols such as tyrosol are usually responsible for unpleasant alcohol
flavors. Limited amounts of these alcohols can be desirable in high alcohol beers such
as barley wines or strong ales and are much more noticeable in lighter style beers. The
most common source for such alcohols is fermenting at too high of a temperature,
however, keeping beer on the trub for too long or oxidation can cause this as well.
How to Avoid:
Avoid fermenting at temperatures exceeding 80ºF. If the beer is going to be sitting
in the fermenter for longer than a couple weeks, it is a good idea to remove as much
sediment from the wort as possible before transferring it to the fermenter. A secondary
fermenter can also be used to help reduce the amount of contact time the beer has
with the trub.

It fermented in my spare bedroom, which stays somewhere around 68-77F. I was an idiot (its my 4th brew, so I'm learning) and poured the whole damned pot into the fermenter; so there was a nice 2-4" layer of trub on the bottom that it sat on for 7 days before we racked to secondary. Think its an issue?

I have. Its continually hopped with a mix of simcoe & centennial, and it tasted pretty darned good, somewhat viscous mouthfeel, & very very hoppy. Expecting it to balance out in the bottle/keg.

Latest posts

Back