Newbie questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rburnham82

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm new to home brewing, I a couple of days ago bought a basic kit and am trying the coopers lager kit.
I think I made a couple of errors but at the same time I have nothing to compare it to, in terms of how it should look at what stage.
So few errors I made are,
1.Don't think I rinsed all the sanitizer out.
2. Think I added the yeast in the kit when brew was about 30 degrees not 27 like instructions said.
3. I didnt put the airlock in top of the bucket for the first 8 hours ish.
So question is what should I be looking for to know that it's ok? Or given these errors is it likely to be rubbish already.

Many thanks
Rich

Depends how much sanitizer. half the bucket, yes it will be a problem. A little at the bottom. You're fine. Relax :).

Yeast temp. Totally fine.

Airlock. Should be fine as well. Nothing has took off yet, and the extra oxygen the yeast will eat.

So relax, and go have a beer! The hard part has started.

If it's Star San sanitizer, it's no-rinse, so ok (unless you left a lot like Spectre said). If some other sanitizer, check the instructions.
I haven't pitched that warm, but it's generally thought that it can cause some off flavors with most yeast strains. Should still be ok.
The lack of airlock for 8 hours shouldn't be a problem unless a gnat or something similar was attracted by the sweet smell and dove in.
Welcome, and good luck.

Thanks for your reply. Like I said totally new to it so don't know what I should be looking for. It wasn't the no rinse stuff. Looking through the bucket it looks like a bit of foam layer in there and the airlock thingy keeps bubbling away every so often. Not sure how foamy it should look.

As suggested I'll go have a beer and chill

In the U.S. so Fahrenheit here... so 30C is 86F.... way too warm. That definitely put some stress on the yeast. Depending on the strain, likely it might fight through it without too much of a problem... but a good chance your beer will develop off flavors for sure.
I pitch yeast around 68F (20C) in a fementation chamber that is 63F ambient (17C).
If it ruined your beer, I hope you don't get discouraged and never brew again... just brew again and be sure the temp is lower for sure. And put the airlock on as soon as you transfer from the kettle.

Back