newbie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugenBrau

Reaction score
I am primarily a beer and cider maker. I have never made wine before.
I was just given 5 gallons of Catawba juice and 6 gallons of Niagra. I know that as cider ferments to it driest state it strips out much of the apple flavor.
Will the same happen with Niagra and Catawba juice?
I am trying to figure out if I shouls let it go dry and back sweeten it or stop the fermentation early to preserve the flavor.
Thanks

What sort of alcohol content are you shooting for? That will largely determine whether you stop it early, or let it go dry and backsweeten.

RugenBrau,
I can tell you from experience, Catawba will not lose its flavor, I made a beautiful Catawba last fall, I used 71B-1122 on the advice of a friend and head winemaker of a local winery; the 71B helped to convert some of the malic, giving me a smoother, less harsh wine.
You will have to back sweeten to some extent to balance out the natural high acid levels that cold climate grapes will have. Everyone that has tried the Catawba was taken back by the intense fruit flavor of this wine.
as for the Niagara, I have no experience with it.

Latest posts

Back