newbie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbarrera

Reaction score
Hi. I started a 5 gallon batch on 11/12/13 and had an SG of 1.140 which I know is very high. I wanted it to be sweet without having to backsweeten. I did not add any nutrients or anything. Only a bunch of rasins. I airated once daily for the first 3 days by blending some of the must in a vitamix on full speed for a couple mins. My airlock was still not bubbling. It has now been 10 days and it is bubbling maybe once every 30 seconds or so. It smells fine (like fermentation) and no off smells. But it's not bubbling the way that I want it to. Did I do something wrong? Please help!

Hi. I started a 5 gallon batch on 11/12/13 and had an SG of 1.140 which I know is very high. I wanted it to be sweet without having to backsweeten. I did not add any nutrients or anything. Only a bunch of rasins. I airated once daily for the first 3 days by blending some of the must in a vitamix on full speed for a couple mins. My airlock was still not bubbling. It has now been 10 days and it is bubbling maybe once every 30 seconds or so. It smells fine (like fermentation) and no off smells. But it's not bubbling the way that I want it to. Did I do something wrong? Please help!

What's the current SG?

I litterally just checked it and it is at 1.080

Alright- some progress!

I'd really suggest nutrients (check out the mead making "sticky" threads at the top for specific amounts and type at this time), and degassing. You don't need a blender, but use a sanitized spoon/dowel/curtin rod (don't ask, but it works!!!!) and stir it up to get rid of some of the c02. Do that as often as you can in the next three days.

The nutrients really are crucial, so that should be done ASAP and again in another week or so depending on how the fermentation is going.

In three days, check the SG again. It may be time to stop stirring by then, but maybe not.

Go with what Yooper says. I've never made a mead. :) I was going to suggest checking again tomorrow, but Yooper has a good point -- all the threads I've read said you need to feed the yeasties and degas.

Check it again tomorrow. If it hasn't changed, the yeast is done and you have mead. You can either rack to a secondary or just put it somewhere to age it for awhile.

1.080 is way too sweet to be finished. I agree w/ yooper that he should try and knock it down some more, at the very least to less than 1.030

I know absolutely nothing about yeast nutrients, which is why I didn't use any. Any tips or info anyone can give me would be much appreciated. Also what kind? If there are different options. I'm not sure.

Fermaid k and DAP are what I generally use. Google those for great information as to why it's important to use nutrients.

It sounds wrong but honey to yeast is like cardboard to humans, very little nutritional value.

Happy yeast = happy brewer.

Okay. Sounds good. Will I have time if I order it online and wait for it to ship? Is my yeast going to die?

Back