Newbie Question - When to Add the Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadshomebrewing

Reaction score
So now I've done a couple batches with Dry Malt Extract, and have added the extract at the beginning of the boil. Results are reasonably good, and i have no complaints.

I've seen differing opinions of when to add the extract. Some do it right at the beginning, some do it with 15 minutes left in the boil, some half and half.

Is there any rule of thumb?

I can see that the extract gets very dark during the 60 minute boil, which i assume is from caramelization. I'm also assuming that the caramelization also affects the taste. So what happens when you add it at 15 mintues?

And, if a recipe calls for first hops at 15 minutes, and the extract is also to be added at 15 minutes, is there any logic at all to a 60 minute boil? Why not just cut down the water, and do a 15 minute boil, with hops and extract?

then add the aroma hops at the end, and any sort of dry hops to secondary and be done with it?

thanks in advance

When using pre-hopped extract malts,you only need to boil the water to dissolve it all. I use plain DME's in the boil,as they don'y caramelize as readilly as LME. I use 1.5lb of plain DME out of a 3lb bag in the 2.5-3 gallon partial boil for hop additions. Whether bitering with flavor additions,or just flavor additions. I do flavor additions at anything from 25 minutes to 10 minutes,depending on the style I'm brewing & the amount of hops used. The remaining DME & all the LME is added at flame out,stired real well,& covered to steep for 15 minutes. It's still like 180F+ at this point,more than enought to pasteurize,which is 162F.

i'm too much of a control freak to use pre-hopped extract, just plain dme's.

and, i'm doing 1 gallon batches on an electric stove, if that makes any diff.

it looks like you do about half your dme from the beginning, with the bittering, then your various flavoring additions, and the rest of the dme at flameout?

is there a reason, or is that just where you have wound up after lots of trial and test?

thanks

I found through studying here & experimenting that I get good hop utilization in a 2.5-3G partial boil with half the 3lb bag of plain DME. Adding the remaining DME & all the LME at flame out is called late addition,& gives lighter color & no extract twang.
Batch size doesn't matter much,since timing is the same. So the process I use would work in your case as well. Save for the actual amounts used in asmaller batch.

thanks... I'm assuming it would work approx the same for other styles, like wheat, which are supposed to be lighter in color, and flavor.

may try with my next batch.

thanks again

Latest posts

Back