Newbie question on kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcw90

Reaction score
I only have my kegerator set up for one corny at a time. I will have one corny on tap but I would like to get my second ready for once the first runs out. I will have to pressurize my second corny and then let it sit in a closet until I run out of my first tap so the second won't be getting any continuous pressure from the tank. What should I set the psi at in my co2 tank when I carbonate my second corny keg so that it is ready in 4-5 days? I hope this makes sense, ask if you need clarifications. Thanks in advance!

So your hope is to carbonate the second keg warm for 4-5 days and then store it in the closet till needed?

The desired carbonation level depends on style and CO2 solubility depends on temperature. There are various calculators available that will give you the pressure required to achieve the former at the latter; for example 2.5 volumes at 60F requires about 23psi.

If you can't wait till it naturally reaches equilibrium but can only give it 4-5 days on gas, then you'll have to try setting the pressure even higher and trying to catch it before it overshoots.

When you do move the keg to the kegerator it'll take a day or so to chill. At lower beer temperatures the CO2 becomes much more soluble - eg. holding 2.5 volumes at 40F only needs 12psi - so once the keg has chilled you'll want to reduce the pressure to the appropriate level using the release valve (hoping you have one).

You could use priming sugar to carbonate. Use about 1/2 of what you'd bottle with, apply keg lube to gasket, seal at 30 psi, then release most of the pressure. Now it is just a big capped bottle, fermenting in your closet.

I set mine at 30 psi for about 36 hours at 40 F. A few more days at serving pressure and the beer is good enough for me.But I have been known to carbonate a keg under 10 minutes.Don't be afraid to play around. You can always degas or add more.

I agree with the above post. However 36 hours in my experience is too long at 30 PSI. I found that 18 hours at 30 PSI followed by 1-2 days at serving pressure (10-11 psi for me) to be sufficient. I have also found that 24 hours at 30 psi over-carbonated my beer. It's a pain in the arse to keep shaking and using PR valve to get it back down. Remember, these numbers only apply if it's getting force curbed in the refrigerator. Warmer beer requires higher pressures to dissolve the CO2 in solution. My method is to have secondary or "knock-down" regulators inside my refrigerator. This allows me to keep the tapped keg at serving pressure and force carb the other at the same time. My system has a 20# CO2 tank. I also have a spare 5# tank that I use to purge the Oxygen from my keg prior to siphoning from my carboy. After kegging I pressurize the keg to 30 PSI and then remove the gas. This doesn't carbonate the beer but keeps anything from entering the keg. It can sit in this state in my basement conditioning for months if I choose. Good luck....I'll never go back to bottles or priming Sugar.

Back