newbie Q: whats a double?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba_Mustafa

Reaction score
I've been floating this forum (and the beer tools' since I own the software) for a bit.

But what makes a double or triple a double/triple?

I've done a quick search (net), and it seems related to hops (though ABV seems to be higher, around the 2x range too)
Is there a rule of thumb?

Does it vary with styles? (I hope not, that would overly and unnecessarily complicate things)

(wasn't sure if this belonged here or newbie section. Did an executive decision)

Thanks,
Dave

Edit: can we add 'Imperial' to the list?

Double IPA, Triple IPA, Imperial IPA/Stout.... basically mean the same thing to me, really hopped brews with a hight alcohol %. I think for style an Imperial IPA's OG is between 1.075 and 1.090. IBU from 60 to 120, with many going higher. (It's kinda like an arms race....). I have to say when I first read your question I thought you were asking about Belgium Dubbels and Tripels....lol

Well, while we're on that subject. :D What are dubbels and tripels?

LOL!! YES, 'dem too! Still trying to get the styles down and figuring out what I like. ( I was gonna do the funky spellings but passed since I, mistakenly, figured them to be one in the same.)

(and on a humorous side, for you double IPA guys, why not just chew a hop leaf/bine?)

I'm not the man to ask when it comes to the Belgians, but when it comes to the US stuff, they're loose terms to indicate a particularly strong example of the style. A double IPA will have a higher ABV and stronger flavor.

Also, BJCP is saying it much nicer than I am:
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style14.php#1c
The adjective “Imperial” is arbitrary and simply implies a stronger version of an IPA; “double,” “extra,” “extreme,” or any other variety of adjectives would be equally valid.

Also, for you big stout guys, why not just chew some coffee beans? ;)

Edit:

While I'm on the BJCP site, the Dubbel and Tripel styles are a bit more well defined:

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style18.php

18B. Belgian Dubbel

Overall Impression: A deep reddish, moderately strong, malty, complex Belgian ale.

Comments: Most commercial examples are in the 6.5 – 7% ABV range. Traditionally bottle-conditioned (“refermented in the bottle”).

History: Originated at monasteries in the Middle Ages, and was revived in the mid-1800s after the Napoleonic era.

18C. Belgian Tripel

Overall Impression: Strongly resembles a Strong Golden Ale but slightly darker and somewhat fuller-bodied. Usually has a more rounded malt flavor but should not be sweet.

Comments: High in alcohol but does not taste strongly of alcohol. The best examples are sneaky, not obvious. High carbonation and attenuation helps to bring out the many flavors and to increase the perception of a dry finish. Most Trappist versions have at least 30 IBUs and are very dry. Traditionally bottle-conditioned (“refermented in the bottle”).

History: Originally popularized by the Trappist monastery at Westmalle.

Opened a bigger can of worms then thought!

I feel the bjcp site *needs* to be expanded (or a similar site)
Trying to go from beer X to beer Y is a bit tough. (think a coors light drinker wants to brew a chocolate stout. And NO I don't drink coors light; I'd rather go thirsty.) The commercial varieties equivalents they offer are typically Euro-centric (or a tough find locally and reasonably fresh). Maybe a cross-ref/database should be built?

Back