Newbie mistake any solution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a bit embarrassed about posting this but thought I'd get your opinions
I brewed my second all grain batch from a recipe called "Just James"IPA.
It's has a huge hope build 11oz of hopes during boil and 8oz dry hope
I mistakenly did not take an OG reading, but after 2 weeks in the fermentor my hydrometer reading was FG of 1.050. Having been stilling in 8oz of dry hopes, I struggled regarding the time the hopes have been sitting in the beer . But I let it go another week and still 1.050.

To get the beer off the hopes I decided to filter and keg the beer (didn't really realize 1.050 was barely fermented)
I let the keg sit for a week in the fridge and tested again 1.050. So last mistake was I carbonated it.

It tastes good but not right.

Is there any hope? Can I pull it and try to start a fermentation with a new yeast?

Thanks, I know I made a ton of mistakes be kind LOL

<iframe width="100%" height="500px" src="https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/591005" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Jason

Last edited:
First thing, if you're asking people to take the time to help you out it's worth you taking the time to make your post readily comprehensible - at very least read it before you hit "post". This looks like you typed it in on your phone and autocorrect went wild.

Second, put yourself in the position of someone who doesn't know any of the details of your brewday and think about the information that is obvious to you but completely unknown to them - in this case the grain bill, mash details, volumes, and fermentation temperature are all key.

Last, to the question, chances are (depending on the above) you could re-ferment it to a more reasonable FG, though you're going to lose a lot of the hoppiness and may need to dry hop it again too.

I would pitch a packet of SA04 or SA05 and see if it takes off. I guess I would rack it back into a fermenter. Don't lose hope for your hops.

First thing, if you're asking people to take the time to help you out it's worth you taking the time to make your post readily comprehensible - at very least read it before you hit "post". This looks like you typed it in on your phone and autocorrect went wild.

Second, put yourself in the position of someone who doesn't know any of the details of your brewday and think about the information that is obvious to you but completely unknown to them - in this case the grain bill, mash details, volumes, and fermentation temperature are all key.

Last, to the question, chances are (depending on the above) you could re-ferment it to a more reasonable FG, though you're going to lose a lot of the hoppiness and may need to dry hop it again too.
I'm truly sorry that my post was poorly written. You are correct, it was written in hast and was not reviewed. I have tried to correct it.
Thank you for your help despite my sloppiness

Back