Newbie looking for help w/ fermantation temp. controll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theintern43

Reaction score
Hey everyone, kinda a newbie here looking for some guidance with temperature control with my primary fermenter. I currently have a porter fermenting in my closet with no real temp control other than my AC being at 66. I sorta plan to brew to season (saisons, belgians, etc. in warmer months, I live in Texas) but I would like more exact control over fermentation temp. I'm looking into a Johnson temp control but do not understand how to use it. I would get one and a chest freezer and wire them together? Could someone please guide me in the right direction with this? I can afford to spend roughly in total about $200 (chest freezer/fridge and Johnson control combined). Are there any links online someone would care to share?

Thank you and happy brewing!:mug:

The johnson controller is pretty easy to use.

You will have to read the instructions, because I am pretty sure it ships as a heating controller. You will need to open the cover and switch a jumper pin to the correct setting to control cooling.

Other than that, its pretty much plug and play.

Buy a chest freezer, drop the temp probe inside (in a jar of water to help regulate the temp reading on the probe - with will prevent oscillation with your control). Plug the chest freezer into the johnson controller, and plug the controller into an outlet.

$200 - you might need to buy a used chest freezer, or wait until you can get one on a steep discount. A while back Home Depot had a small one available for ~$150.

What type of vessel are you fermenting in?
I just bought an stc1000+ prebuilt box off a vendor here and have a fridge and brew belt plugged in. I'm currently fermenting in buckets with the probe taped to the side and insulated. This is still better than going off the chambers temp if you're trying to be exact. Yeast makes heat on its own. I'm gonna grab the sanke fermentor conversion kit and go with a thermowell for the probe.
If you're more handy than I you can buy a build it yourself stc1000+ kit and I'm sure easily find a cheapo fridge on CL

Back