Newbie lookin for knowledge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYFJ

Reaction score
Hello all, I am looking to start a new hobby... Thrashing my toys on the rocks is getting a little too expensive these days. So I live in San Antonio Texas. I am familiar with Austin Home Brewer supply, but is there any closer to SA. Also if there any San Antonio Brewers here I would defiantly like to talk to you. Thanks Jonny

Welcome aboard.

San Antonio Homebrew supply on St. Mary's st.
Hombebrew Fetish on Bandera

Whereabouts are you in SA?

God, to live in a city with multiple HBS's! I live just outside of DC on the Maryland side. My drive is at least 30-45 minutes to the two closest stores (w/ traffic), and there are none in DC proper that I know of... :(

(I doubt I'll get much sympathy from those living in the heartland that probably drive that far to the nearest grocery store.)

Welcome to the hobby, and give thanks for having multiple nearby stores!

For what it's worth, shipping from Austin Homebrew has been fast to my home in New Hampshire, and the two beers I've ordered (mini-mash doppelbock and all-grain hefe weiss) have been excellent.

like many other things, my LHBS is on the internet... no drive time...

but, in case if emergency, there is one just down the road... that stocks the essentials

welcome to homebrewing...

Welcome, you are in the right place for this hobby. Tons of great information that you can get just by browsing/searching the threads. If you can't find info you're looking for, just ask, there's usually lots of quick response.

You'll definitely want to check out John Palmer's book/website

howtobrew.com

It's a great resource. Also, Charlie Papazian's 'The Complete Joy of Homebrewing' is a good resource though some of his recommendations are a bit questionable (e.g., there are many sanitizers that are much better than bleach).

If I can give you one piece of advice from experience and also a recurring theme from newcomers is plan on your second brew before you even start your first. The first batch always goes quick and you'll wish you had another in the pipeline.

Back