Newbie impatience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave2307

Reaction score
My Coopers lager (DIY beer kit) has been fermenting for 6 days and following the instructions I have tested the gravity reading which has come in at 1.019 which is a bit higher than I was hoping (it started at 1.039). I have had to brew at a slightly lower temperature (generally between 15.5-17.5 degrees) so understand (from what I have read on several forums) that primary fermentation can take longer, even though I do think 6 days can't be enough time anyway.

Should I take another reading tomorrow to check that the gravity readings are in fact still dropping or just leave it for a few more days?

Am I right in thinking that fermenting at a minimum of 15 degrees will still work (just longer)?

Like other newbies I'm probably worrying about nothing - well I hope so anyway!

Hi, congrats on your brew and welcome to HBT!

I would leave it for another two weeks, give it a total of 3 weeks - no harm in doing that and you will be sure that the yeast have finished up their work. 15C is 59F, which is on the low side for an ale yeast, but I don't know if the kit came with an ale or lager yeast. If it came with a lager yeast, 15C is a little too high (the yeast will produce fruity esters at that temperature). 17C is just fine for ale yeast.

If the airlock is bubbling, leave it alone until it stops. Wait a few days and take a gravity reading, then wait a few more days and take another reading to see if its done. Your ferment temperature is a bit high for lagers, if you can't maintain a lower temperature, you should consider making an ale next time, good luck!

If the airlock is bubbling, leave it alone until it stops. Wait a few days and take a gravity reading, then wait a few more days and take another reading to see if its done. Your ferment temperature is a bit high for lagers, if you can't maintain a lower temperature, you should consider making an ale next time, good luck!
What temp should you ferment lager at?

Have posted this not too long ago. Is there anywhere on here that has step to step guides?

Attachments

• 4E5B1B59-6C0C-4642-9C37-D86050989C9E.png
    4E5B1B59-6C0C-4642-9C37-D86050989C9E.png
    1,006.2 KB · Views: 5
His coopers kit is probably an ale kit even though it says lager. Most can kits are. Also he should use a hydrometer. It's the only way to know. Bubbles are misguiding

interesting. was not aware of this. thanks for the enlightenment. cheers
Also fermenting under pressure you can ferment beer with lager yeast at higher temps as the pressure takes care of the unwanted esters, tastes etc. There are plenty vids on YouTube. Check out Dr. Hans. Upside is also that it ferments a lot faster.

Back