Newbie Idiot Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quinny

Reaction score
Hi

Just made some excellent Chardonnay (from a kit), and decided to start a batch of cider.

Totally messed up, added contents of cider kit to fermentation jar and sugar water etc couldn't find airlock, then remembered I'd left it in bottom of fermentation jar - SOAKING IN STERILISER! (ABOUT AN INCH DEPTH!)

The steriliser powder is RITCHIES from Burton on Trent.

I presume that I've totally screwed it, but I'd be grateful for advice if there's any way it can be rescued.

I don't know about cider, but I've done a similar thing with beer before to only a slight noticeable effect, if any. Don't panic. :)

What size was this batch?

It's about 25 litres. I decide to add the yeast, but it doesn't seem to have started yet.. Wondered if another batch of yeast might start it?

Ritchies "Steriliser and Cleanser" is bleach based, so if it actually manages to start at all, then it's gonna taste very weird.

It's one of the reasons that I only use it for cleansing/sterilising of DJ's and other fermenters. The rest of the time, I make up the "recipe" from CJJ's "First Steps" book and use 6 crushed campden tablets and 1 tsp of citric acid in a pint/500ml's of water - in a spray bottle.

If the kit is clean, it sanitises it in a couple of minutes after a good spraying.

regards

fatbloke

It's started fermenting now, but I'm worried that the cleaner especially if it's bleach based will be poisonous/make it taste really crap. Having said that the cleaning solution didn't smell that strong.

let it ride. if it turns out funky toss it . but give it some time and see.

This is still bubbling , but down to about one bubble a minute. Should I wait longer?

Back