Newbie Here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLOYDFLOWERS

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

This past monday (5 days ago) I brewed a batch of Alpine Ale from Outpost using a Ale Pail kit. I followed instruction to the letter however, I pitched the Dry yeast at about 68 defrees. The first 2 days the airlock was bubbling and moving. On the 3rd day no activity. 4th day I agitated the bucket and got a some more bubbling for a fewminutes. Day 5 (Today I popped open the lid for a peek and there really is no foam except a few cluster of foamy looking bubble about an inch in diameter. I have fermenter located in a closet and the temp is a steady 70-72 degress. The bucket feels slighty kewl to the touch.

1) Is this normal?

I plan on leaving it in the fermenter for 2 or 3 weeks before taking a reading, although the directions say 5-7 days.

2) Is longer = Better?

First rule of fight club...

No, not really. Airlock activity (or lack of) is not necessarily an indication of fermentation or the lack of. Draw off a sample and take a hydro reading, that is really the only way to determine if the fermentation is going according to plan. Shaking the fermenter and the ensuing airlock activity could be nothing more than the expulsion of CO2 in suspension.

Everything sounds A OK!

Depending on the source, some recommend against leaving the beer on the trub for an extended period of time (extended= 2 weeks+). I think the longest I have left anything in primary is about 12 days.

+1 on the hydrometer reading. Once the yeast have started their magic, you should minimize any agitation of the liquid. Beer and O2 are not good friends once the yeast is present.

What you are seeing is normal though.

1) Perfectly normal

1 1/2) Good idea

2) Longer (as in 2 - 4 weeks) is better. Longer as in several months might not be better.

-a.

Not sure what brand/type of yeast it was, a small yellow-ish package with some vintage looking font... This was the "stock" that came with the Outpost Brew Kit.

Thanks for the replies, I will error on the side of caution, and call it 2.5 weeks and then bottle.

Btw, when I opened I took a whiff and it smelled a bit like beer, put a smile on the face....

Not sure what brand/type of yeast it was, a small yellow-ish package with some vintage looking font... This was the "stock" that came with the Outpost Brew Kit.

Thanks for the replies, I will error on the side of caution, and call it 2.5 weeks and then bottle.

Btw, when I opened I took a whiff and it smelled a bit like beer, put a smile on the face....

It was probably Nottingham Ale yeast. Since you started it out at 68 it was probably done. I usually run Nottingham on the low end High 50's Low 60's. I think you get the best results in that range.

I got my first kit from Outpost also. I got the Altidude Amber instead of the Alpine Amber. In my opinion, the kit is very good. I'm on day 12 of fermentation with mine and plan on waiting, per the advice I've been given here and from local brewers, until this upcoming weekend to bottle, putting it at around 19-20 days in the fermenter. Close enough to the 3week advice i've been given. Other than the kit saying 5-7days and everyone else saying 3weeks, the kit seems good for us newbrews.

Good Luck!! Cheers :mug:

Ahh yes! It was Notingham, I remember now.....And Bam, thanks for the correction, I am doing Altitude amber.... here are some pics I took...
bottle.jpg

ferm.jpg

hydro.jpg

ingrie.jpg

kit.jpg

boil.jpg

Cool label! So, have you taken a second hydrometer reading? Just curious. I like to hear about the processes and experiences of other people, being rather new to the hobby myself.

Welcome to HBT Floyd - and to the addiction.

I agree with the others here that leaving it in the primary for a few weeks makes a better beer. I usually leave it alone for 3-4 weeks. The instructions that come with the kits are ok, but after a few batches, you'll develop your own technique and realize that the instructions don't always work just right.

Benny, haven't taken a reading yet except for the first one after boil. I plan on taking one at the 12 day mark then another before bottling. Will more than likely do 3-4 weeks in the bottle..

Sounds like everything is going fine.

Just leave it alone and let the yeast do their thing.

Don't open/shake/rattle/ or roll. The yeast know what they're doing in there.

After about two weeks, take a reading, If you're done, then bottle.

Nice pics! those labels look great! I will warn..the longer you stay here reading, and surfing the net about this, and the more online stores you browse and the more possibilities you see with homebrewing, the more addicted you will become! I'm making a trip to my local store this week to gather some more fermenters and some ingredients and try to work towards getting a pipeline going!

:mug:

Ok so after 8 days in the Primary Fermenter, took a Hydrometer reading and I am sitting right at 1.010... Used a sanitized ladle and re-sanitized the lid and airlock. Thinking about going to bottling this in 5 days....Took a few pics. I think it has a nice color and I tasted it, taste good for a flat/warm beer :)

Picture003-2.jpg

Picture004-1.jpg

Picture005-1.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h59/FloydnJulie/Picture006.jpg

Finally Bottled my Brew......Yielded 46 bottles, that are now sitting in the closet carbing up.....Refridgerated and sampled one after 5 days and it slight carbonated and a bit "green". Going to give it 4-6 weeks......

BEER.jpg

BEER2.jpg

Back