Newbie from Alaska (exiled in Texas)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancingbarefoot

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a beginner in Houston, TX trying not to screw up my first batch. I've been meaning to try homebrewing for a while now, but I'm stranded in TX where it's hot! Now it's cooling down enough to where I can brew without worrying about the temp range.

My first attempt is a double stage stout. I can't wait to see the results! It's in the primary right now, bubbling away. :D

Don't forget to brew lots next spring. I've been in Houston in the summer, you can boil the wort by setting the pot on the sidewalk. I don't think even turbo yeasts could handle the heat.

Where abouts you at dbf? Some of us up in the northeast part of town are fixin to get a club started up.

david_42 said:
you can boil the wort by setting the pot on the sidewalk.

:D Ain't THAT the truth!

Club, you say? Oooh! If complete beginners are welcome, I just might have to join in. I'm in SW Houston, though (by the medical center).

dancingbarefoot said:
Club, you say? Oooh! If complete beginners are welcome, I just might have to join in. I'm in SW Houston, though (by the medical center).
I only know beginners, with but one exception. You're about 30 miles from me, but this being h-town that's pretty much next door.

welcome aboard. brew'n in the summer isn't too bad here. just
drink some h2o between homebrews so you don't face plant from dehydration :~)

the "houston" area members need to meet at Saint Arnolds or Two Rows for a few brews and lies. i helped brew a route 66 amber ale w/ ian at two rows a fews fridays ago. should be ready to drink around the 11th. any takers??????

OK... I'm confused. Is St. Arnolds a local Houston thing?

Also... The Brew Stop seems like a cool place. Anyone tried the Brew It Yourself up in the Woodlands? It seems easier to get to only 'cause it is directly along the highway. They have a LOT more stuff there too.

try defalco's on stella link, south loop 610 (just past reliant stadium heading west). that's the best HBS in h-town as far as i'm concerned. been around since the 70's. good guy's, fresh ingredients, and very knowledgable.

saint arnold's is a local micro brewery just off hwy 290, just north of loop 610. check their web page www.saintarnold.com. free tour and beer every saturday @ 1:00 pm. great guy's, good beer.

See... that is like a MAJOR long haul for me. I don't head south of downtown unless I am working (not at the moment) or have to for some odd reason. Besides... the shop in the woodlands is REALLY new and is rather huge. They seem to have everything under the sun and are about 3x the size of The Brew Stop. Oh well... just wondering.

Free beer in their tour on Saturdays? Dang, why did I have to find out about this now??? On a Saturday!!! Oh well. I'll BE THERE next Saturday. I don't care if I get much at all, but I'd love to try 1 ounce of everything, just to see what I might like. Which I assume is probably the point... to create customers. Oh well, fine with me. <smiles>

yep, you get 3 glass samples, andif you buy one of their mugs, pints, steins, etc. they fill those up to the top! not a bad deal....

well, i drive over from about 1.5 - 2 hours, and it's worth it. i never get up to the woodlands area, but when i do, i'll check it out. we make a day of getting brew supplies, then we go to Two Rows for some lunch and some craft beer, then stumble to the Ginger Man for a couple before we leave. it's always a good day......

My wife just showed me two rows today (their website, that is), despite her hatred of beer... but what is Ginger Man?

Windaria said:
My wife just showed me two rows today (their website, that is), despite her hatred of beer... but what is Ginger Man?
ginger man is a tap house right across the street from two rows. they have about 70 brews on tap at all time. cool atmosphere. old pub like setting.
www.gingerman.com i think? ther original is in houston, w/ another in dallas, austin, and nyc.
bummer your wife hates beer. just ain't right. :(

Well don't get me wrong, I've never had one that I like yet... which is why I like the idea of going to a place where I can try several. Eventually I have to find one I like. Her reasons are because she grew up seeing the effects of people who abuse it, so hers are philosophical. Not her parents, but boyfriends and the like, but still.

DeRoux's Broux said:
try defalco's on stella link, south loop 610 (just past reliant stadium heading west). that's the best HBS in h-town as far as i'm concerned. been around since the 70's. good guy's, fresh ingredients, and very knowledgable.

That's the only one I've been to (since it's closest to me), and I have to say I was impressed. They were all very helpful and patient with my newbie questions.

Free beer at St. Arnold's, eh? Definitely something I'll have to check out.

How many Two Rows locations are there? I'm new to Houston (obviously), but I only know of the one in Rice Village.

that's a shame. beer and homebrewing can be a healthy, fun hobby when treated with respect.
so, have you brewed a beer yet?

Me? No, I'm hoping to do a cider... but as mentioned in another post, apparently I had a bit of an infection. <sighs> Well, it is a learning experience. I will now take sanitization FAR more seriously. Fanatically, even.

I am going to try to save the cider batch... if I can't then I will likely end up doing another cider next time. After that I would like to try a riesling... and eventually I would like to do a beer, don't get me wrong... but first I want to find something I like so that I can try to make something similar to it. Otherwise, if I can't... it doesn't seem like there is entirely too much point, I figure.

as long is your active in the hobby. that's what we like to see.

go to the ginger man, and try some Belgian style ales. they tend to be fruitier, lighter bodied, but high in alcohol. so not too many at once. don't want mamma get'n mad at you :~)

Back