Newbie Brewster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngson616

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just joined the forum! Hello all!

I'm on my second brew of hefeweizen and I got a healthy fermentation I think both times, however I have a question about yeast pitch.

Is it necessary to stir in yeast or shake the fermenter? My Instructions suggests shaking the fermenter(bucket) after pitch with airlock attached.

Cheers 🍻

Welcome to the obsession. IMO there's no need to stir or shake the fermenter after yeast pitch, unless you are trying to rouse the yeast if you have a stuck fermentation or something like that. At yeast pitch, I just pour my yeast in the fermenter, close it up and let the yeast do their thing.

Cheers!

In principle, the yeast start churning themselves as they make CO2 and rise toward the top. Being impatient, I always give the fermenter a little swirl after the pitch.

Brew on!

Just a follow up on my new yeast pitch results-

I just made two more 5 gal. batches of beer two days ago. I got two different results after I pitched the yeast and sealed the fermenter as suggested without mixing the yeast into the wort.

What I noticed is the fermentation took longer to take off, fermentation lasted longer, and wasn't as aggressive like needing a blow off and all that on 1 batch.

On the other identical batch, I had little to no activity in the airlock. Has been 48 hours. I peeled back the lid (bucket fermenter) and I see a layer of Krausen and hop material so I assume fermentation is taking place? Guess we will see in a week or so with FG test

Welcome to the madness we call a hobby. The reason for shaking the fermenter is to mix the yeast into the wort quicker and introduce the yeasties to the oxygen and sugars they need to propagate and convert the sugars into alcohol. While eventually the same action will take place without shaking or swirling, as you are experiencing it simply takes longer. There is a risk of producing off flavors when the lag time is significant. The sooner the yeast gets to work the better.

Welcome to the madness we call a hobby. The reason for shaking the fermenter is to mix the yeast into the wort quicker and introduce the yeasties to the oxygen and sugars they need to propagate and convert the sugars into alcohol. While eventually the same action will take place without shaking or swirling, as you are experiencing it simply takes longer. There is a risk of producing off flavors when the lag time is significant. The sooner the yeast gets to work the better.
Right on! Thats what I was thinking, it's just lagging some. Ill give my fermenter a little swirl to try and rouse the yeast. Thanks for the response! Cheers 🍻

The batch seemed to have turned out good so far even with the sluggish fermentation! Taste test seems good.

Its been 8 days and I'm exactly at target final gravity of 1.015. Is it too soon to bottle? I am not doing a secondary this time round.

Back