Newbie Bottling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giorgio-alemani

Reaction score
I am on my second batch now. Currently my bottles have been aging for a week and I was wondering if the beer would benefit from stirring up the sediment or should I continue to let them sit still.
I had read that during primary fermentation the yeast may benefit from bein stirred back into solution by a gentle rocking of the carboy. Should I do that with my bottles too?

No they are fine...it takes about a month for them to be fully carbed so just be patient.

Agreed with above post, at this point in the game it is just a waiting game. I would check your carbonation at week 2, and stick them in the fridge when you are pleased with the results. You should have plenty of yeast in suspension to finish the job, stirring it at this point will just contribute to haze and reduce the effect of any clarifiers you may have used.

Thank you both. My first batch wasn't carbonated enough, in that the mouth feel was there but the persistent bubbling was not. Can I take those out of the fridge and let them sit another week or two or is it too late. I'll keep the current batch out for another two weeks...if I can wait that long.

I would say you can take them out of the fridge, yeast LOVE to be warmed. The only problem I can foresee if that the yeast may have dropped out of the beer if they were in the fridge for too long, but I would say its worth a try. I would suggest taking it out of the fridge and bringing it up to about 70, and flip it once upside down and then back to right side up to get some more yeast back into suspension, but do not shake.

Keep the beers out of the fridge until they are properly carbonated. Bottle condition near 70 degrees for 3 weeks + then cool and try one. When fully carbed put a few in the fridge at a time and restock as necessary. I have had a few beers carbonate in 2 weeks but ALL have tasted better at 3 weeks or longer. I did a Winter Warmer that took two months to carbonate but did not taste good until about 9 months, now, at 1 3/4 years now they are great.

Back