Newbie Adventures with Mash&Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OceanBob5

Reaction score
I just bottled my third batch over last weekend so I'm just getting started, but I'd like to share my approach and open for any feedback in making even better beer. I went straight to All-grain and use stainless as much as possible- Mash&Boil, Anvil SS Fermenter, Keggco 6Gal boiler and bottle bucket. Since I'm starting I went with all grain recipe kits and cut them in half for 2.5 gal batches so I didn't end up with too much un-drinkable beer - so far I have enjoyed every bottle. My first was a robust porter and then a Scotch Ale. I messed up on the first by mixing the sanitizer way too strong - about 5x stronger than it should have been. I didn't catch until it was long in the fermenter - No problems with germs I figured. It was a crazy brew day, trying to follow all the times and making sure I had temps and amounts correct. I joined Brewer's friend and ran with their Brew day sheet along side the M&B instructions, but was exhausted by the time I cleaned up. The smaller batch size also allowed me plenty of yeast, made moving the fermenter around much easier as I was trying to use room temps to control the label thermometer on the outside of the ss fermenter. I'm an old guy with a not so great back so the small batch also let me cold crash by taking the fermenter outside when the north GA day was close to inside basement temp and let it drop to mid 30s over night - getting some nice clear beer also with the help of some Irish Moss. As a beginner I'm trying to keep it simple, let the beer sit for two weeks in the ss fermenter (I can't see what's going on but have learned to watch the expansion valve. The water level changes as fermention stops and the pressure inside lowers- two weeks is plently).
It also gave me a second chance with the recipe which I kind of did, my latest batch,- I already started playing with adding additional grains and went to 3 gals. The beer went too fast.

My pre and post boil gravities seem to be about the same even with the loss of about a gal boil off. I thought it was a mistake on the first batch but they've all been very close, so not sure what's up with that. There should be a difference on just the volume change alone. I'm also not making the target numbers but I think it may be the grain mill and will be testing that out with later batches. The Scotch Ale was suppose to be strong 8-9% but the numbers didn't support it - was way low on the OG even with stirring and longer Mash time. The good thing is the taste is just great and it's a very drinkable beer that doesn't knock your socks off.
So all in all it's been fun, learning lots, getting better and may just keep brewing looking for that perfect brew where I don't forget something inspite of all the notes, books and software helping.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep going making good beer. Sweating the numbers is for guys that compete. Keep it up and it will come with experience.

I admire you to go directly to all grain. I also bought the Mash&Boil and up to know have done four extract recipes. I wanted to make sure I learned all the process very well before jumping in to it. Funny that I also have a Anvil SS Fermenter but I have not used yet. It was not available on my first brews so I went with glass carboys. That I do not regret because it did let me learn and see the fermentation process. When I received it I still did the next two in carboys. I still plan to do few more extract before going all grain. Want to be sure I nail the water levels and my wort cooling process. Most of my OGs has been off a few points but all beer came out super great. I think at the end that is what counts. Please keep posting your results so I can get motivation to move up ;-)

Couple of things to be aware of when all-grain brewing. Do you scale down your recipe using some kind of calculator or do you simply cut the grain size in half? If its the second option that could explain why you are not hitting your target numbers. The amount of grain dictates how enzymes and sugars make it over to the fermenter for the yeast to consume. Also keeping a consistent temperature between 50-55 for the mash is a huge factor of your OG. As for your gallon of boiloff try keeping the boil less vigorous. If you have the burner going full blast and your wort is rolling above 220 deg then you are going to have more boil off. Try keeping the boil temp around 210-212 where the wort is just barely boiling up. You could also be over sparging and collecting way too much runoff from the mash. This would result in more boiloff.

Also be cautious about cold crashing your beer outside. When you cool beer down to lagering/cold crashing temperatures it creates a vacuum inside the vessel. This could potentially suck back any sanitizor solution or what ever is in your airlock or air into your fermenter. This would more than likely spoil the beer if left out for to long. I apply 5 PSI into my conical (A keg would also work) to get positive pressure.

The keys to all grain is hitting temperatures, making mash efficiency, and not to rush things. While you will learn in time different techniques that will make you better beer it sounds like your are off to a good start. Hope this information helps

I still plan to do few more extract before going all grain. Want to be sure I nail the water levels and my wort cooling process. Most of my OGs has been off a few points but all beer came out super great.

I'd say that one more extract batch would be sufficient. I had purchased a few extract kits to brew and then before I had brewed all of them I tried an all grain batch. It was really hard to go back and brew those few extract batches after one all grain batch. It isn't nearly as difficult as I had imagined. I might suggest that you do a half size batch BIAB to start with as those are so easy.

I'd say that one more extract batch would be sufficient. I had purchased a few extract kits to brew and then before I had brewed all of them I tried an all grain batch. It was really hard to go back and brew those few extract batches after one all grain batch. It isn't nearly as difficult as I had imagined. I might suggest that you do a half size batch BIAB to start with as those are so easy.

Thanks. Hard to go back because difference in taste or just process?

Thanks. Hard to go back because difference in taste or just process?

All grain was just as easy as extract when done BIAB and it opened up more choices in the grains I could use. That choice in grains led to more flavor differences. I also found the process more fun and it was much easier to scale a recipe than with an extract kit (kit, not just extract). As I learned more and experimented I found that I could do an all grain beer as quickly as an extract kit for quite a bit less money too by buying the base malt in bulk.

First, Thanks everyone for the great feedback, some good points and ideas to work on. @brewhaus88 to finally give feedback - since I'm starting off using kits, all the grains are mixed together so I just divide in half by weight and use Brewers Friend to check yeast and any other numbers. The B&M does a good job keeping the temps on the mark and the boil temp rolls right at 212. I have noticed the sanitizer in the airlock has backed into the inner side after a cold night, but if any went in I didn't think a few drops would really make any difference to the beer. Most all of it looks to remain in the airlock, but a point taken and it only sits over one night. I know it really should be longer but I don't have control over the weather temps - yet,,,, ;-)
I'm still playing around with the gravity numbers and when to take samples. The current batch, about ready to bottle, is a strong scotch ale that I took a sample right after a 75min mash time and some good stirring with the mash paddle every 15m. The 1.095 reading was giving about a 90% efficiency from the grain and I was happy to see that high reading telling me my technique was working. Then I did my usual sparge with 170 water and took another reading - now down to 1.062. Looks to me like I really don't need to sparge all that much using the M&B, I'm not getting any added sugars, just watering down the wort??

Back