Newbie 2nd fermentation question???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewM8ster

Reaction score
Hello.

I am starting my 2nd beer, and was wondering once primary fermentation is done is it a good idea to transfer to another bucket for secondary to clear even more then transfer to keg for priming?

Does this sound right or does this just get rid of too much yeast?

Regards

It won't get rid of too much yeast. I usually transfer to secondary after 1-2 weeks, depending on how active the yeast is. Then again, some people don't ever move to a secondary. I prefer to since it gets rid of a good deal of dead yeast and hop debris.

h-bar said:
It won't get rid of too much yeast. I usually transfer to secondary after 1-2 weeks, depending on how active the yeast is. Then again, some people don't ever move to a secondary. I prefer to since it gets rid of a good deal of dead yeast and hop debris.

Hey. Thanks for that I will do a secondary and take it from there. Thanks again.

When using a secondary, you will still have enough yeast to prime a keg. However, many people (including myself) don't secondary unless other adjuncts are being added or dry hopping. The beer can get just as clear if left in the primary for another week or two. It's really a preference in that regard. With that said, you will be good to go either way.

If you ever force carb, you can also cold crash your primary bucket before kegging to speed up the clearing process when it kegs chilled to serve.

rgauthier20420 said:
When using a secondary, you will still have enough yeast to prime a keg. However, many people (including myself) don't secondary unless other adjuncts are being added or dry hopping. The beer can get just as clear if left in the primary for another week or two. It's really a preference in that regard. With that said, you will be good to go either way.

If you ever force carb, you can also cold crash your primary bucket before kegging to speed up the clearing process when it kegs chilled to serve.

Thanks for that. Also I am new so is it a good idea to stick with instructions or to add hops etc to mix it up a bit?

If your using a kit, then I'd stick with the kit. Usually those are sold as packages because they are good recipes. But, I've only used 1 kit so my experience with them is limited.

But hey, if your feeling crazy, ask your LHBS for some advice on how to make a certain change to it. I'd think of a difference you'd like to get outside of what the recipe says it will taste like and go from there if your looking to stray with what it says. I wouldn't listen to the kits instruction on fermentation and such. Only move the beer once it's done fermenting which should be measured a couple times and a couple days apart from each other. Usually those instruction speak in generalized terms, and it's not true in all cases.

Edit: Also generally pitch your yeast under 70F. Most kits don't seem to make this note.

Back