Newbe tripel question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew

Reaction score
Been brewing for a about a year......made my first Tripel.....was a partial mash.............do tripels need more time in the bottle............it has a very strong taste and is very sweet.......was not over carbornated but I only bottled it a week ago .....just wanted to know if I tripels need tim to mellow in the bottle from everyone's experience..............i have to say as of now this is my least favorite beer that i have made to date

any word of wisdom?

I am considering doing tripel for my 4th beer and everything I have read so far - do not bother touching it, if it has not spent 3 months in the bottle.

I have a trippel that's been bottled for just over a year, still not ready. I refuse to consider that I may have screwed up. UNPOSSIBLE

Been brewing for a about a year......made my first Tripel.....was a partial mash.............do tripels need more time in the bottle............it has a very strong taste and is very sweet.......was not over carbornated but I only bottled it a week ago .....just wanted to know if I tripels need tim to mellow in the bottle from everyone's experience..............i have to say as of now this is my least favorite beer that i have made to date

any word of wisdom?

What was the recipe? What was your mash temperature? What yeast did you use? What was your fermentation temperature How long did you leave it in the fermenter? Did you rack it off the initial yeast cake into a new container? Did you measure the specific gravity after the mash? after the boi? at bottling time? What were those numbers? How much and what sort of priming sugar did you use? Did you add additional yeast at bottling time?

There's a lot of missing pieces here before any sort of useful answer could really be given. The answers to the questions above can at least point us in the right direction.

If it's really sweet, though, I would hazard a guess that you need to wait for about 4 or 5 more weeks before cracking another one. For a stronger beer like a triple it's way too early to be passing judgement on a bottle conditioned beer, regardless of how long it was in the fermenter. That said, time in the fermenter could be effecting the sweetness and flavors you're getting.

In the meantime you should really wrap up all those bottles in a couple layers of garbage bags. If it really is sweet and you used a belgian yeast you might have just bottled a couple cases of grenades (my saison took 4 months to hit it's terminal gravity this summer).

without getting into a ton of details I followed the instruction for the recipe and my OG and FG hit all the numbers..........it was in the fermentor for 3 weeks and I did use a tripel yeast

I'm going to let it sit a couple of weeks or months and see how it tastes......just wanted to see what others experience has been

btw......so far not bottle bombs!

If you are specifically referring to the sweet taste, then either:

a) it's not done eating the priming sugar, which is highly likely giving that it is only 1 week in the bottle.
b) The FG is high, either "as designed" or accidentally - though you say you hit your numbers so no need to go into the accidentally section. I don't think this problem will be fixed by aging, unless there's something I don't understand about "sweetness".

It's probably (a), but what was the FG?

Give it time, I just finished with a big Belgian that I won't touch for at least 6 mo. Drives SWMBO crazy as she would drink them after a week in primary if I let her. I alternate making big Belgians and regular beers to placate her and keep her away from my Belgians.

Back