newb with issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhbarc

Reaction score
I just finished brewing my first batch. every thing went great until I put the lid on the fermenter then attempted to install the water seal in the lid. When I tried to insert the water seal I accidently pushed the rubber seal into the fermenter. I tried to fish it out with a sanitized spoon but could not retrieve it. fortunately I was able to find another and got it installed with out issue. I am now worried about that dang rubber grommet tainting my brew. Should I try again to retrieve it or let it go?:confused::confused:

+2 ^^

plus you get to name your beer like "O'Rings Ale" or something *grin*

And remember, "Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew!" Once you begin to remember this, brewing will become much more stress-less. :mug:

And FWIW, it's an air lock. Not trying to be an @$$, but some one might not get what you are talking about.

Thanks guys I will try to relax. str8wire thanks for setting me straight air lock got it.

Well, it is the only thing with water you install into the lid. :D From what I've seen it's pretty hard to ruin a batch with something like that.

I got a hydrometer reading of 1.047 @ 70 deg F. My recipe a Saint Arnold Christmas Ale clone suggested my initial gravity should be 1.035 - 1.042 could this be a problem?

If it was mine I wouldn't worry about it, but I would check my hydrometer in water to see if it read 1.000. If it didn't I'd adjust the readings by that amount.

So the O.G. is a few points high, :shrug: it'll either be a little higher in abv, or finish a few points higher.

Lots of things might have caused a slightly above range reading like that, you could have steeped grains longer, or scraped the can more diligently than expected, or sampled an area of wort that wasn't thoroughly mixed with top off water.:)

I would check that hydro in water, just to be sure. Oh and leave the beer alone for 2-3 weeks ;)
RDWHAHB:mug:

Latest posts

Back